CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Ali sat up slowly from his reclined position and turned his eyes at the same pace to his right where the elderly driver was standing, trembling. "Repeat what you just said."

Mallam Nasiru cowered in fear and was almost pissing his pants. He remembered Ali's orders when he first hired both him and Shuraim.

"A hair on her head is hurt when she's with you, you're both done for."

"Will you speak up!" Ali's loud voice roared through the calm air of the early evening.

Mallam Nasiru flinched and stammered. "I... she asked me to stop at the hospital and... when she's done she ordered me to leave and... and drove by herself."

"Repeat that again." Ali gritted, standing up.

"Alhaji wallahil azeem I tried stopping her but_"

"What did I tell you about ever letting her drive herself?"

"You said I should never do that but Alhaji_"

"But what? So now her orders are more significant than mine isn't that so?"

"No Alhaji." He mumbled, already at the verge of tears.

"Nasiru or whatsoever your bloody name is,"

"Manners Ali." Umar chided.

"To hell with etiquette." Ali shot at him then turned back to the man. "If anything happens to her, you have a wife don't you?"

"Alhaji!" The man wailed, dropping on his knees.

"Ali don't be so hard on him."

"Just shut the fuck up! I gave very simple orders, take her straight home and turn back immediately. What fucking part of that didn't he understand?!"

"Leave." Umar told Mallam Nasiru.

"Alhaji don Allah."

"Just leave!" Umar thundered and the man shakily picked himself out.

Ali flopped on the couch and buried his face in his palms. The hell! How can a woman be so strong-willed?! Just when I thought I had her out.

"Are you ready to tell me what you did to your wife?" Umar stood before him.

He'd left work immediately he ended his call with Amira after hearing Ali's rageful call. He learnt about his discuss with his father earlier that morning and he knew something like that will happen after Farida told him of her plans. He tried stopping her but she's fixed and he thought it'd be better if the Lamido found out from her, though he knew that wouldn't save them from his ire.

He told Lawrence to call him when Ali arrived and when he did, he said he's in an apoplectic mood and left the airport alone.

One thing was for sure then, Ali's riding home and his wife was in danger. He tried to get to the house before Ali did but the site he's in was a bit too far and he could have arrived late so he decided to call her and ask her to go to his place. Ali won't know she's there and it'd be better since she won't be alone.

But what surprised him was Ali making it in such little time. How fast did he drive? And when he arrived at the house, he's told that he just missed her and so he went looking for Ali and fortunately found him half an hour ago when he came back home and as usual, with a stoic face.

"Spare me the crap." He mumbled.

"No you spare me the crap, Ali I hope you didn't beat her up." His note heightened.

"I gave her what she deserved. Satisfied?" He faced him, lifting his brows.

"Ali have you suddenly forgotten your promise?" He said with disgust.