CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

The whole house teemed with life and seethed with hustle. The air reechoing with millions of submerging noises of chatter and banter. Hundreds flew in and none left. There was much to do and more people to get it done.

Her afflicted soul sat on the jacuzzi, staring dreadfully at her phone on the sink, in alarm of any sound it'll make.

It'll be Yusuf's text.

She can't say which is better, not knowing what your married life held or knowing and being helpless about it.

After sitting for quarter an hour, it did.

The phone fell from the sink to the tiled floor due to the vibration.

God! She loved that 7T pro so much!

She shakily picked it up and boom! The cracked screen read,

Congratulations Mrs Aliyu Sulaiman Hamza 🤗❤

Her henna-ed hands sneaked to her mouth as she and the phone slipped to the ground.

I'm married! I'm lodged to Ali forever!!

It was too much to hold in. She just burst out crying. Carefree of the cold wet tiles, her shattered phone and being dressed in just a white bathrobe.

***

Bang! bang!! bang!!! "Amira! Amira! Are you in there?!"

She shifted on the floor. Did I just pass out?

No! If you did, you wouldn't be awake by now.

"Amira! Amira!" The voices came again.

She jolted up, rinsed her face and opened the door.

"Oh my days! What were you doing locked up in there?" Aunt Jasmin slapped her forehead.

Amira rolled her eyes and leaned over the door jamb.

Nabeelah stepped closer and cupped her face. "Were you crying?"

She shook her head in the negative and Nabeelah hugged her.

"Don't worry Mira. You'll do just fine." She held her shoulders. "Get ready now, you have lots to do and it's getting late."

She held her to the bedroom and after castigating pointlessly for long minutes, Jasmin and Hauwa left with a group of others leaving only a few of her friends and the makeup artist, Agnes, who went to work.

They said Farida was done and back at her room and she's left far behind.

"Make it simple." She grumbled as the artist set up her materials.

"I was asked to gussy you up."

"And I said you make it simple." She dictated, eyes widening in chagrin.

"C'mon Mira," Maryam, a coursemate and friend of hers, chimed in. "You know how it ended yesterday because of the touch-up, she's specifically asked not to repeat such."

"Piss off!" She yelled then barked at the artist. "It's my face, you do as I say."

"But_"

"Just do what I ask you to!"

"What's going on in here?" Hajiya Halimah asked, walking into the room.

The group of six ladies all went silent and she scanned their faces, waiting for a reply.

"Amira?" She moved to stand before her. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing Aunt."

"She's telling the artist to keep her make-up simple and we're just trying to get her to reason." Bahira said.