CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"Amira, won't you let the artists do their job and go dress up?!" Hajiya Halimah inquired for the umpteenth time.

"Aunt I'll soon wrap up." She answered.

"I think I'll have to call Salmah."

"Haba mummy, she'll be done soon, pleassseee." Farida pouted.

"You have five more minutes else Salmah will be here herself." She left.

"Gosh!" They both sighed.

After meeting with some of Hajiya Salmah's friends who made it for the event, she hurried back to get ready for the kamu only to meet Farida telling off the artist on the makeup they're carrying on her saying they weren't doing it to her taste and only Amira knows what she likes.

Amira had sighed. "If I wasn't also getting married, I wonder if you'd let me ever take a breather Farida." And she carried on the task.

She did do her makeup a lot, though she isn't much of a makeup fan, she's an artist.

She rounded up Farida's makeup and the artists did her a touch-up. She was certain of a sour treatment on that later. But she wasn't happy, so why make the outer beautiful when the inner's a mess?

She moved to the closet and changed into her lilac African guipure lace which was sewn into a long sleeve mermaid gown with lace ruffles on the skirt then graced it with a graduated teardrop bridal set.

Staring at her Jimmy Choo crystal embellished suede pumps, tears dropped from her lined eyes.

Everyone was happy but she wasn't. They don't even notice her angst. They're always busy with wedding, wedding, wedding. That's what they wake and sleep with.

They expect her to be happy and show up with that cheek-torturing smile brides hold during their weddings to the loves of their lives. Well Ali was far from being that.

So far, they're the obstacles in each other's lives.

It's very disturbing how Ali always acts the ideal fiance in public but gives her the 'Ali treatment' when they're secluded.

Getting married to me is one thing. Staying married to me is another. Let's see how you stand up Mrs Hamza.

Those were the last things he said to her when she went after him to the kitchen yesterday.

She'd realized following him was a bad idea afterall.

She doubted if she could hold up as he'd mentioned, she's already thinking of calling off the wedding.

...just don't say no on the wedding day. She remembered Goggo's words.

But it's not yet the wedding day!

"Amira!" Farida, Bahira and Ifrah, one of Rida's numerous cousins and her best lady, came in.

"C'mon, I knew you were gonna cry but not now. We're running late." Farida hugged her, making soothing circles on her behind.

"I don't wanna do this Rida, I really don't want to." She sobbed.

"Don't say that please." She pulled away and wiped her tears. "You've come a long way Mira, don't say this now."

"God! I'm sorry I ruined your dress." She sniffed.

"It's nothing, it'll dry out in no time. Just get dressed already. Everyone's waiting for us." They helped her with her head gear and tulle veil.

*   *   *

They were welcomed by the hausa ceremonial music. The blaring of the kakaki and the beating of the kalangu was accompanied by the praises of the singers.