CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"You prepared all of this?" Amira leaned over the door as Ali set the dishes on the tray.

Stewed meat, wheat bread, hibiscus tea, beverages, cooked and scrambled eggs, cereals, some oranges, watermelon, apples, grapes and bananas on a platter.

"Why didn't you let me greet your folks last night? They seem cool."

He turned the boiled water from the kettle into another flask and began setting mugs and bowls on another tray.

"Is something wrong?"

He didn't reward her with as much as a look-see since she stepped in.

"Why're you quiet?"

When no response came along, she changed the topic.

"I really liked the cupcakes you got for me. I never thought you would. Did you really move it all the way from Kaduna?"

Nothing.

"Eek, are you fasting?"

Now he peeked at her.

"C'mon, why'd you let my questions keep hanging like that? At least give me some reaction, don't keep me talking like a nutso."

"Aren't you one?"

She smirked. "I am, not all the time."

"Not all the time will you find me in a mood to listen to you nattering."

"I was talking to you."

"And not all the time will I brook your brassiness."

"Jeez, don't talk like that."

He went to the sink to wash his hand.

"I'm sorry if I offended you."

"Be careful what you say or do around me. It's only an advice."

He took the tray of cups, bowls and spoons and gave it to her, she quietly received it.

"You'll greet, with due respect, and speak only when and what necessary. You know how to put up a front, do it well."

He led her with the flask of tea while the maids got the rest of the breakfast.

A group of ladies were in the sitting room, when they entered. One was combing another's hair, one was bundled under a blanket, eating some grapes and watching a movie while three were busy on a laptop.

The walls were covered in inky wallpapers, the shaggy blue rug adding a touch of coziness. The white seating were luxe and comfy to the look and the minimalist design only added a feel grandeur.

All the ladies turned to them and she could feel the head-to-toe survey they're carrying on on her.

Okay, it's quite obvious you're his bride-to-be.

Her eyes stopped at the ravishing-grape-eating woman who's firing her dirty looks.

Amira recognised that one. She and Farida were by the window peeking at them when they arrived.

"You see that pregnant one?" Farida had asked. "The one with the black gown?"

"Yeah?" She'd answered.

"Her name's Ayeesha. The first time we met was during Ya Ali's wedding to Asiyah. I hate her more than I hate Zahra."

Amira'd stared at her like she just grew a third eye. What sort of a woman is she then? She'd thought.

"Just stay clear of her path till she leaves. She's a Delilah and a wicked opportunist I tell you."

They'd put on hijabs and went down after that.