CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

He slowly drummed his fingers on the wheel as he stared at the gate absently, thoughts of how to confront his wife waving through his brain in mighty currents that flapped hard against his braincase.

That was the hardest thing he had to do, gosh it's proving harder than he even imagined. How does he do it?

He gnashed his teeth and threw his head on the headrest, he felt so stupid that he's doing that because someone asked him to. Nobody tells him what to do. But the truth is deep within he knew he had to do it, but why?

Because his father was mad at him?

No, that makes him feel even more stupid.

He has wronged her, and he needs to do something. Something he doesn't know what.

By Allah he was just there, he doesn't even know what he was for. He can't just apologise, that's impossible. And neither can he just force her to go with him.

But he's still there!

He groaned and looked around the not-so-busy street of New Karu. He expected it to be some busy crowded area but it wasn't close to that, maybe he doesn't know Abuja well, and for a minute, he doubted if he's in the right address.

No, it can't be. Even in his shattered state he possibly can't miss a vivid description and house number. Yusuf had given it to him.

Ali groaned again for the nth time that morning and placed his hand on the gear, just about to reverse when the gate ajarred and a young man peeped out, inspected the car then stepped out.

Ali hissed, he'd honked twice and the silly man just had to come out when he's about leaving.

Seems he just had to do it.

He rolled down the glass as the man neared the window.

"Sannu fa."

Do I look like I'm ill? "Is this the house of Doctor Hammad?"

"Yes it is. How may I help you?"

"I wanna meet his wife. Is she in?"

The man's brows pulled together. "Please, who are you?"

Why're people so stupid? Ali puffed and took off his shades, directing his gaze on the man. "I'm here to see Nabeelah."

The man opened his mouth to say something but couldn't. He then went back and quietly opened the gate.

Ali loved how intimidating his eyes were. He'd heard from a lot of people that his eyes were scary and demanding and he wouldn't love it less.

The house was so prime. A bungalow he believed to contain about three or four rooms. There were lots of plants around, from the flower beds, to vases around the building and also two coconuts and an avocado tree. It's so cosy and natural.

There wasn't much parking space and the security directed him to park beside a white Kia he believed to be Nabeelah's.

He turned off the engine and took consecutive deep breaths, looking around more. Ali wasn't much of a bungalow person, after spending years in the real estate business, he barely came across single-storey houses that matched his taste but that was so exotic and captivating.

There were also a number of birds, flying and cooing over the house adding a more natural feel to it and he just fell in love more. It's just so endearing.

The security led him to the front door and Ali asked him to go, saying he could take over from there.

Standing in front of the door, he heard noises of children playing within, they sounded so happy. So gay.