CHAPTER ELEVEN

Not good... Neither this... Nor this... This too..., they're all too happy. They look too beautiful to be worn on a mournful day which looks like my wedding day. How astounding!

She flipped close the magazine and bounced on her bed. I need some muffins.

"Which do you prefer?" Farida asked, scrolling on her laptop.

"None. I'd prefer a black one, plain and baggy, with a large black hat that has lots of black flowers on it, and black gloves and black stilettos and black make-up, you know?" She glanced at her and caught her staring at her derisively.

"Are you off your rockers?"

Amira sighed and sat up, shoulders limp. "Farida?"

"Mm?"

"I wanna eat Amala and black soup."

"Kina hauka."

"Serious fa. I'm tired of all this. Do I have to choose everything? Call Sis and Na'eemah up, they know what I'd like." She slumped back on the bed.

"You're sick." She stood up and left.

Your brother's making me sicker.

Her phone shrieked and she turned it over. Finally remembered you have a crazy little niece.

"Moi idiot, how far you?" That's a greeting.

"About a thousand miles but wait oo, say you dey get married?" His deep voice was laced with shock.

"And you're just finding out?"

"Ke dan Allah?!"

"Allah kuwa. Next month mah."

"That's what I'm seeing o. But like serious, you're really getting married?!"

"Yes. And what do you mean by seeing?"

"Na Nazeer just come with IVs. I can't believe this."

"It's true idiot."

"Downtown getting married at seventeen. How amazing!"

"I no get choice fa."

"Hope you no go carry belle for am."

"Thunder fire you there mumu. How can you think of such a thing?" She scowled.

"No, like life, I can't believe this. You're fucking getting married?!"

"And the fucking IV is in your fucking hands and you've got fucking eyes to read it."

"Chill out girl, I meant no harm." She pictured him rolling his eyes.

"Does Mallam know?" She sought.

"I think so. He refused to even take a look at the cards."

She felt her heart clutching to a side. And to mention, he's her so-called father.

"Don't worry Mami. He'll get over it."

"No, he won't. He sucks." She hissed.

"Shegiya aquatic." He laughed.

"Mugun criminal."

"Za ku sha buduri!"

"What do you mean? Won't you come?"

"I don't think so. I'll be in school."

"Iskanci! And since when did you bother about school?"