CHAPTER THREE (1)

The whole day she spent in contrition. She'd never spent a day without hearing from Yusuf; not even a text. She'd tried reaching him but all efforts were fruitless. He picked non of her calls, replied zero texts. She couldn't stop but to feel guilty.

If perhaps I didn't ask that question, then maybe none of this would have happened.

Yusuf has always been the fun-loving sort of guy, cordial and placid. But she couldn't get why it disturbed him this much. This wasn't the first time they had such fights and he always put it aside the next minute and moved on.

She really wanted to see him and resolve the matter. Tonights dinner would be a perfect opportunity. She prayed he'd come. Well, he must. The Lamido will be present, so had to.

Dinners like this were rare. The Lamido tries to see he spends as much time as he can with his family, away from all the royal 'rumble'. Being a king was definitely not easy. All the responsibilities, insecurities and stakes gave her goosebumps all over.

How can a person survive with all that?

Although one thing was for sure, he loved his family a great deal. He gave them everything and raised his children properly.

She was snapped out of her thoughts by the aadhan. She got up from bed and picked a date from the bowl on the bedside drawer. After a silent du'a, she made to say her evening salah.

* * *

"Kin sha ruwa lafiya?" Farida asked as Amira sat down. She was alone and the maids were bringing in the dishes.

"Hamdallah." She replied.

"Zup?" She raised a brow. "You've been gloomy all day."

"Nothing, just the fasting." She avoided eye contact.

"Or maybe Yusuf." Farida gave her a knowing look and just then, Hajiya Halimah walked in with Abba tagging along, blabbering.

"Hmm," Abba took in a breath histrionically. "Something smells like pasta."

"Sure is darling, help yourself to a generous portion." Farida grinned while Abba pulled a seat.

"Everything ready?" Hajiya Halimah asked, inspecting the table.

"Yes." Farda answered taking quick glances at the dishes; grilled fish, chicken spaghetti, jollof rice, coleslaw, banana-apple smoothie and moringa salad. Everything was set.

"Ya Allah!" Amina interjected. "I didn't finish the rolls."

"Is that why you want to give me a heart attack?" Farida jeered.

"What rolls?" Hajiya Halimah asked, sitting.

"She made shawarma for open-mouth ne fah."Farida replied whimsically.

"Laa na ma manta." Hajiya Halimah gasped, "An sha ruwa lafiya?"

"Yes Ma." She grinned.

"But where's it?" She inquired.

"I was kinda weak so I went up and it totally escaped my mind. I'll prepare it after dinner."

"Ok."

The trio went on chatting about their day in wait for the men to arrive. Abba pitched in from time to time. He idolized pasta.

All through, she hoped silently for Yusuf to show up.

Roughly ten minutes into their chat, the air was charged by an overwhelming mixture of tobacco oud, revealing the presence of the Lamido of Yola.