CHAPTER TEN

"How's the paper?" Yusuf asked, easing her of her backpack.

"It was terrible." She huffed, fanning herself with her hand.

"You always say that but you still breeze through."

"Not on this one."

"You always say that too."

"I didn't study a bit."

"You say that too."

"Okay!" Amira raised her hands in the air and chuckled. "Can we go now?"

"Why not?" He opened the door for her, grinning.

"You shouldn't be doing this y'know." She uttered, resting her head.

"You're still my Mila, In-law." He pocked his head through the window. His hair was now in an afro. Yusuf and hairstyles!

"Get in already." Her nose wrinkled. "Speaking of that, why are you picking me up today?" She asked as he got in.

She didn't expect him to, like, they're no more... whatever. And Ali should have, seeing how they all grabbed any little opportunity to make them spend time together.

"He couldn't make it." He started the car.

Wish he'll always not. I can't bear with two pressures at a time.

"Guess I'll always be picking you up, he's quite busy with the wedding preparations." He added as he drove off.

Pleased to hear that, but there we go again.

"I see you're not the least excited about this." He took his eye off the road briefly.

She held her head. "Don't even start."

"You must be kidding me. You're getting married in a month Mila, you should at least be excited."

"I most definitely am." She uttered snarkily.

"Are not. You leave Rida and Mum to do everything. They pick the furniture, clothes, colours_"

"And how are you expected to know? You came back a day ago." She glanced at him.

"I do know. It's eyely in you." He raised his brows. "You ought to engage in the wedding preparations." That came as an order.

"I am getting married to him so quit the talk already." She grumbled.

"Yes, you are. And before I forget, dad wants to see you."

They glimpsed at each other before looking away.

Ya Rahman, take my life please.

"Music?"

"No."

* * *

"Why don't we just keep it simple Dad?"

"Are you questioning me Ali?" He asked grimly.

"No,"

"This wedding is going to be perfect in perfection and I won't take you messing around." The Lamido declared. "Ali?"

"Yes dad," He answered, head bowed low on his seat.

"Mess up and I won't take it lightly with you." He dictated. "Are we clear?"

"Yes."

"Now go with your brother. Make sure the house is in perfect shape. I'll get to you both later."

"Ok." They chorused and left.

"That boy needs strong hands to handle him." He huffed.

Was he referring to me?