CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

The rain was pouring angrily and so was the thunder strikes, but none of that bothered Amira as she slept away her exhaustion.

But after what she assumed to be just minutes of sleep, a salaam sounded through her thoughts.

Who's that?

It came again, this time with a knock.

"Hmm?" Her grogginess began fading away.

There was a hum of a voice or the sort and she ignored it.

There was a louder knock and she opened her eyes. Who's disturbing me like this?

"Assalamu alaikum." A female voice said.

"Wa alaikumus-salam." Amira mumbled, sitting up and cuddling under the duvet.

There was a knock again.

"Who's it?" She whined.

"I'm sorry Ma'am but it's time for suhur." The voice came again.

"What?" Time for suhur?! How comes?! What's even the time?!

"Ma'am," A knock sounded yet again.

"Come in."

The lady of last night entered. At least she recognizes her petite stature.

"Assalamu alaikum Ma'am." She curtseyed.

"Wa alaikis-salam, what says the time?"

"After four Ma'am."

Subhanallah! I missed tahajjud! "Um, what's your name?"

"Ummi salmah."

"Ummi."

"Yes Ma."

"Just make me a cup of tea."

"Ok Ma'am, but Sir said you should go downstairs."

"Ali?"

"Yes Ma."

Crap! "Okay, I'm coming."

Ummi left and Amira got her bag from the armchair in the room, took her toiletries then headed to the ensuite.

After her necessaries and a quick shower, she changed into her PJ then wore a knee length hijab only to go out of the room and meet Ummi Salmah waiting for her.

"Why are you here?" Amira asked surprisedly.

"Well you might lose your way so I thought I should wait and show you to the dining room."

"Oh okay."

She led the way and Amira followed behind quietly, admiring the dazzling interior. Everything about the house was Victorian and exquisite.

They passed from halls to stairs and another stairs...

Did I climb two sets of stairs last night?

And after passing through three sitting rooms, they arrived at their destination.

Ummi left Amira at the archway to go get her tea ready.

"Alright." She nodded at her then stepped in nervously.

Ali was seated on the table with his phone on his right ear, his other hand massaging his temples and the air around him tense.

She didn't want to invade but she can't go back, so she moved to the table for six and sat a seat across from his.

"... No erm," He cleared his throat. "I don't know, I came in last night at around twelve so maybe he's here."