CHAPTER FORTY

His fingers twitched as he regained consciousness and he slowly opened his eyes. His sight was hazy but he could clearly tell he's in the hospital. The bed, the smell... the weakness.

He sighed wearily, he was weary.

His gaze ponderously became clearer and from the dark windows, he could guess it's still night.

Or dawn. His subconscious said and only then did he pay attention to the prayer being said in a distant mosque.

Is it isha? Or subh?

He sighed again, trying to move any muscle but it's futile. He's weak to his soul. He moved his eyeballs around and realized he's the only one in the room.

This was the perfect opportunity to escape but he's just as good as a corpse.

He sighed and closed his eyes. Perhaps he could get some strength after some deep breaths.

And slowly, he drifted into another slumber.

* * *

"I'll head to work now. Keep an eye on him and make sure he completes his treatment even if he's awake." Mansur warned and Umar nodded.

"I will, don't worry."

"Don't go acting all soft on him, I know you."

"Chill, I know what to do."

"You better do it well." He turned around and left.

Umar sighed and raked his fingers through his hair. Ali, Ali, Ali. He went back into the room only to meet Ali seated on the bed, the IV catheter which should be - or was - on his arm lying on the floor.

The latter raised his head to see who just came in and hung his head again when he saw who it was.

"I told you not to bring me here didn't I?" He croaked.

Umar reserved his comment and ambled to the bed. "How're you feeling?"

"Get me something presentable to wear."

"Your treatment isn't over."

He looked up at him. "Did I ask you that?"

"You had too much_"

"What's the time?"

"Ali you're not getting out of here."

"What's the time?"

Umar sighed and looked at his wristwatch. "7:24."

"Get me my clothes."

"Khalil went to get you some."

"My phone?"

"He'll bring that too."

Ali moved his weak body to sit by the edge of the bed, hating his entire being at that moment. He can't stay there any longer or he'd lose his senses.

"What did you do to me?"

"What's necessary." Umar lowered on the plastic chair by the wall. "And for the notice, next time you do that again, it's reaching your father."

Ali scoffed. "You won't do that."

"Really?"

"I'd have half-believed it if it came from Mansur but you? Hah."

"Your condition just got worse so you know. Wait where on earth do you always get those pills?"

"I'm a fool but not too foolish as to give an answer to that."