CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

"There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy."

- Dante Alighieri

* * *

Amira sat limply by her vanity, dressed in a white bathrobe and staring at her horrible self.

Her eyes were puffy and red, her hair was like a bird's nest, her neck was slimmer than she'd ever think it could be.

Have I lost so much weight already?!

Well she's blessed with a kind of body that exposes any little thing. If she'd go a day without proper eating, then trust her to reduce weight. If she'd change weathers, trust her to get darker or lighter depending on which.

Anyhow, it's been over two weeks since she ate good food. That's since Goggo went back to Yola after Abeedah's baby's naming ceremony.

The baby's name?

Zaynah, if you know who that belonged to.

She could still remember the smile on his face that day as he took a picture with all the kids, it's genuine, for a very first he smiled genuinely. Like, she's never seen a smile so beautiful. But it wasn't like he's extra happy that the baby was named after his mother and it pained Amira that she actually liked a thing of his, it pained honestly.

But that isn't why she's been crying since the night before.

Today's her birthday, her eighteenth birthday for crying out loud!

And nobody even sent a birthday wish or text to her, not even Nabeelah or Yusuf or Na'eemah... even Nazeer. She never noticed it but then she did, he always sent her birthday wishes, before and on her birthday.

She never actually made sending birthday texts or receiving ones a priority but now that she never got in addy ones, she skyrocketed her hopes for the D-Day only for it to turn out worse.

The only people that wished her a happy birthday were her social media platforms, her friends which weren't such close ones and then the banks she's using.

Pathetic!

Wait, not even Amir and Bahira sent me birthday wishes! They're the first ones I'm going to kill, in fact I'll tear them to pieces.

She's used to being bombarded with calls and pings from midnight but now it's eight in the morning and no worthy call or text.

But why? Have they forgotten her already? Just because she doesn't call them often since she got married? But shouldn't they understand? Her life if at it's worst right then having a husband who doesn't care whether she eats, sleeps or even breathes. Right then she needed more emotional support from them than ever. If they wanted to get back at her for not calling them then they should've done that any other time but not her eighteenth birthday.

Her tears began scrolling down again and she didn't even bother to wipe them. Let them fall, let them all stream out.

She's been expecting this day her whole life. But here it was as dark as a moonless and starless night.

What has become of my life?

She thought of her life eight months back. Before she was asked to get married to Ali.

It was beautiful...

The brightest of her life...

When she's with Yusuf...