CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"There we go." Rebecca, her artist for the night, said as she pinned the veil.

It's a wonder to Amira how a non-muslim could roll a veil so professionally. "It's beautiful." She stood up and admired the work on her, her navy blue abaya perfectly fitted.

"Are you sure you'll go with the little makeup? Lots of people will be there."

"Yeah. I'm okay." She hooked her 4 inch sandal. All these events are not her sort of thing. She prefers informal hang outs with friends and mates not where she'll be addressed as 'Mrs'.

"I shall take my leave then." Rebecca said and began packing her things.

"Thank you. I really like the work."

"Just doing my job ma'am." She bobbed her head before leaving.

This lady will for certain be older than her but here she is, referring to her as 'ma'am'. All these things infuriate her more than the fact that her husband hates her.

Why should they do that? He's the one with the money not me. I'm just an ordinary girl, with dreams and hopes like every other makhlouq. I'll also die, I walk on the same sand, breath the same air, and serve the Lord. So why?

She sighed and played Maroon 5's 'Memories'. More often than not, the lady should be the one late but in hers, the man is. He's not even home.

A flying ovation to you Commander Aliyu Sulaiman Hamza! I hope you won't make it.

Almost half an hour into the music, it rang. I still haven't saved his contact.

She picked and mumbled an 'I'm on my way' before taking her headphone and headed out.

A flashy blue Rolls-Royce Phantom was packed just in front of the building. Damn! He has an RR! The door was opened by Phillip and she stepped in.

His Caron Poivre completely seized the cars atmosphere. How can he always smell so good?!

After a split second of wether or not to greet. "Good evening." She kept her eyes on her phone.

"Evening."

Her eyes bulged out. This is the first time he answered my greetings! Wow.

The car started and she put on her headphone. It's cold.

Her mind drifted away from the music and her husband as she thought with excited anticipation about Abeedah's promise to her.

She came with Fauziyya two days ago and Amira must commend, she's a little bit loose that day.

She'd prepared them a breakfast of sandwiches and spring rolls and as they ate, Abeedah had commented on her baking skills.

"You'll teach me." She had added.

"Okay but, you'll teach me painting too."

She had laughed. "Don't be like Ya Khalil, he never does anything for free."

"Well, maybe I'll give you a free one next time. I really like art, and I wanna have one of my own."

"I don't think people can be thought how to paint but I'll try."

"Really?" Amira bubbled over and Abeedah nodded with a smile.

Hah, can't wait to start!

And she slowly dived into 2Baba's 'Opo'.

After about half an hour ride, they rolled over the gigantic mud walls. She peeked through the dark window, drawing down her headphone and admired the ancient wall. Typical arewa architectural designs. It's so colourful and wow!