10. When Boy Meets Girl

Anaya sat at the dressing table with a sad face and stared at her reflection

Anaya sat at the dressing table with a sad face and stared at her reflection. Her mother was busy dolling her up. She watched her mother comb her hair and curl them neatly. Mrs. Hussain passed her a red lipstick and urged her to put it on. Anaya sighed and slowly moved her hand up. She applied the lipstick and then she was passed kohl. She wanted to protest but kept quiet. What was the point to stretch the argument?

After her mother was done with the hair, she patted her shoulder and smiled. Then, she left. Anaya watched her walk out and looked away. Her eyes began pooling with tears.

Slowly, she brought the Kohl to her eyes.

You had said that engagement meant nothing. So, your father has decided that we will have you two engaged once again. A private affair, just us.

Anaya closed her eyes letting tears fall from her eyes. She was getting engaged to someone she barely knew; someone she had been engaged to when she was a kid. Neither did she remember that day nor she remembered the person she was engaged to. As Anaya applied Kohl more tears fell. She couldn't stop her tears. Here she was planning her future as a successful working woman and probably getting into a relationship with Gabin. But in reality, she was getting engaged to someone whom she hadn't seen in person for ages and would probably end up as a housewife.

Just as she finished applying Kohl there was the sound of the door-bell. Her heart jumped to her throat. She clenched her fists tightly and when she heard her father's voice, she closed her eyes tightly.

'Arey, Sheeraz Beta.' She heard her mother's cheery voice. A teardrop leaked from her left eye. Within minutes, she heard her mother's footsteps and quickly, she wiped her tears and inhaled deeply. She leaned back and placed her hands on her thigh.

Mrs. Hussain came and began gushing how beautiful her daughter looked. She admired Anaya in the mirror and slowly placed her dupatta over her head. She smiled, scooped little of kohl from the rim of her eye and put a small dot behind her daughter's ear. Then, she kissed her head. Anaya closed her eyes as she struggled to fight back her tears. Mrs. Hussain held her shoulders and made her stand and then whispered into her ear telling her to lower her head. Anaya doesn't protest and does as she was said.

She heard her father and Sheeraz's voice and took a deep breath but doesn't raise her head. She walked slowly into the living room. Also, she doesn't look up as her mother made her sit on a single sofa. She sat and shifted little. She could feel everyone's gaze on her. Cautiously, she moved her head up and right in front of her was Sheeraz. He grinned at her.

Anaya cringed looking at him. He was dressed in blue, white, and black checked shirt, and black trousers. Her gaze lingered on his little pouch belly before she looked up. His thick jet-black hair was trembly oily and stuck to his scalp. Though he had no glasses he looked nerdy. Anaya looked away and his smile dropped.

She was dreaming of Gabin, who according to her was the most handsome man in the world. Anaya looked up at the ceiling and sighed shaking her head.