43. Troubled Mind

Anaya felt her heart pounding in her chest as she felt Gabin's lips approach hers

Anaya felt her heart pounding in her chest as she felt Gabin's lips approach hers. But before they could kiss, she snapped her eyes open and took a step back. Gabin was surprised.

'No, no, no, no...' she kept muttering to herself while taking steps backward.

'I am sorry if I offended you, Anaya.' He got worried. Anaya's eyes were wide, and she looked horrified. Gabin took a step towards her but she had turned around and hurried away.

'Damn!' Gabin held his hair in a tight fist. He didn't want to offend her, but he shouldn't have gone for the kiss just after confession. He didn't even wait for her response.

Anaya entered the main hall; the sudden outburst of people made her ears hurt. The silence in the hallway outside the kitchen was now deafening. She walked through the crowds wanting to go to the room, but she stopped when there was a loud cheer and the hall echoed with claps. She looked up and found Mehnaz and Atif making their way downstairs. They looked like the perfect couple together. Holding hands and gazing lovingly into each other's eyes. A bright smile adored their faces. Anaya felt slightly envious for them but more than that she felt happy for them. Zainab, Rashid, and Maaz walked to them. Alia leaped to her father and clung tightly. She gushed happily. Zainab wiped her tears of joy and blessed the couple. Anaya looked around; the reporters were clicking fanatically.

The couple was guided towards the seven-tier cake. The cake looked delicious with vanilla cream and a delicate chocolate design. There was a cute couple on top, they resembled Mehnaz and Atif. Among the resonating sounds of claps and cheers, they cut the cake. Atif was all smiles as he fed his wife and Mehnaz was red with shyness and embarrassment. She fed her husband and hid her face into his chest. There was a roar of clapping.

Among all the happiness there was one person who was being torn from inside. Maaz just wanted everything to get over all this quickly and go to bed. He was having a hard time pushing back his tears and forcing a smile for the cameras. What bothered him the most was feeling of hurt. Why was it affecting him so much? They were married, yes, but just for namesake. The thought of Anaya having romantic feelings for someone else and perhaps meeting him even after marriage made Maaz very uncomfortable.

His uneasiness doesn't go unnoticed by Hannah. She watched him with a scrutinizing gaze. As soon as all the formalities were over, Maaz rushed upstairs. Hannah pushed through the crowd; her eyes don't leave him even for once. She picked up her gown and hurriedly climbed the stairs. He looked visibly upset and she wanted to console him. He took quick steps through the hallways and took steps to the terrace.

Anaya wanted to distract herself. She wanted to erase the recent event from her memory. Though the moment was something she had always experienced in her dreams when it actually happened it disturbed her. Gabin was so close to her that she could inhale his intense musk. She had felt his lip just brush against hers. Many times, her fingers wandered towards her lips, but she distracted herself.