34. Restless and Unforgiving

Anaya reached work as usual

Anaya reached work as usual. She felt awkward thinking about facing Maaz. To her relieve he didn't come to work till lunch. But she kept making rounds to his office. Dealing with the meetings, members and supervising other hotel activities.

She was sitting in her cabin, tapping her fingers on the table and recollecting the incidents of the night. Just then, her phone rang and startled she nearly jumped on the spot. Placing her palm over her heart she leaned forward and picked up her call.

Rashid Sir, calling.

Anaya entered the kitchen to prepare green tea for Rashid. She was surprised when he informed her that instead of Maaz, he would be coming for a few days. Also, she was awkward at the mention of going to Dubai. She didn't know if she could stay alone with Maaz. As she prepared the tea someone tapped her shoulder. She was alarmed with the touch and stepped back before turning to face the person. She saw Gabin standing there flashing her a sparkling smile. He was the last person she wanted to see today. After what happened last night, she didn't want to meet Gabin and be reminded of her backstabbing friend.

'Hi!' She greeted him without meeting his gaze. Gabin looked at her closely, his eyebrows furrowed. Anaya met his questioning gaze and quickly turned around.

'I need—to go.' She said tapping her fingernails on the counter.

'What happened to you?' He held her chin and made her look at him, - 'What is this bruise?' He questioned touching the corner of her lips. Anaya moved his hand away and began fidgeting with the tea bags. Gabin still observed her with a deep look.

'What happened? Anaya, tell me.' He spoke firmly. Anaya looked angrily at him.

'Look, Gabin, this is none of your business. Okay!'

Gabin blinked at her. This was the first time she spoke with her voice raised. He opened his mouth to reply but she hurried with the cup of hot water and teabag.

It felt like an eternity for Rashid as he entered his cabin. He scrutinized the place to make sure, Maaz hadn't disfigured or misplaced anything. After he was assured, he sat on his seat and was about to open the top desk when there was a knock and he paused, looked up and asked the person to come in.

Anaya entered the room carrying a tray of green tea and some biscuits. She looked up at him and smiled a little; instinctively. Rashid smiled back, but he doesn't fail to notice something off with her gesture.

Anaya's gaze fell over the top drawer and recollected Maaz keeping few adult magazines there. She had found out while clearing the cabin. She knew it was wrong, but she wished Rashid found out about it.

'Here sir, your tea and biscuits.' She said placing the cup near him. Rashid smiled to himself.

'Beta,' -he said and she looked at him, - 'I need to talk to you.' – he let out a sigh, - 'I am feeling very guilty for getting you married to Maaz—especially after last night. As a father I am ashamed.' He said in a low voice. Anaya wanted to console him and say many things, but she couldn't find words nor had the courage to interrupt him.