51. Lost Trust

Anaya's sobs echoed in the small room

Anaya's sobs echoed in the small room. Maaz passed her the tissue paper for the hundredth time and scrunched his nose upon seeing her blow into it.

'Are you alright?' Maaz asked cautiously. He sat awkwardly beside her on a single bed.

'I thought—thought,' – she sniffled, - 'that you were going to divorce me.' She sobbed.

'I would have.' Maaz replied coolly. Teary-eyed, Anaya looked at him. She hoped he was joking but he looked serious. She lowered her head and let a small cry escape her mouth.

'Have you come here to tell me this?' She avoided looking at him. Maaz smiled to himself.

'I was very mad at you for staging and framing me for such a heinous crime.'- He paused as she looked at him, guilt in her eyes, - 'okay, I understand you were under pressure and all that but, but when we became friends and I repeatedly asked you about you and confessed everything about me then. Then, also you didn't tell me. Why?'

Anaya sniffles lowering her gaze, - 'I contemplated many times, but I couldn't—I feared you will leave me and I,' – she looked at him, - 'didn't want you to divorce me.' She looked away. Maaz hesitated before placing his palm over hers. She looked at him.

'I would be very angry because of what you did but it wouldn't have hurt this much. At least, I wouldn't have felt so—betrayed.' He confessed. Anaya lowered her head again. Maaz eyed her and then, he caressed the back of her palm with his thumb. Slowly, she looked at him again.

'I have not come here to accuse you or make you feel guilty.' – he gulped softly, - 'I have come here for you to know that—that I will never divorce you.' He said seriously.

Anaya looked at him in a daze, - 'Why?'

Maaz scoffed clasping her hand in his grip, - 'You are stuck with me, Mrs. Hasan.'

Anaya let out a small laugh, - 'Hussain.' She feigned anger. Maaz chuckled.

Mindlessly, Anaya leaned against his arm and he stopped smiling. She sighed resting her head on his shoulder, hand in hand with him. She felt happy being in proximity to him. Maaz moved his free hand and held her chin. Anaya abruptly stopped smiling. She shifted and looked at him. He smiled at her, but his expression changed instantly. Anaya noted his pupils dilate as he gazed into her eyes. She gulped upon feeling his thumb caress her skin sensually. Maaz held her gaze with his as he leaned towards her. Anaya's gaze fell to his lips and she inhaled sharply licking her lips.

Maaz gazed into her eyes and his smile widened. Slowly, Anaya looked up into his eyes. Their faces were only inches apart. He placed his index finger under her chin and lifted her face, then tilted his head, coming closer to her. Anaya could feel butterflies and quickly shut her eyes as she felt his lips brush against hers. Maaz could hear his heart thumping in his ears, feeling her soft but slightly swollen lips. He smiled a little. But before he could kiss her there was a knock at the door and both jumped apart.