27. Expectations

So sorry, for the long delay. Blame the winter. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Anaya stepped out of the room and looked around; the huge hallway was empty

Anaya stepped out of the room and looked around; the huge hallway was empty. Confused, she cautiously walked towards the stairways. Then, she heard the roar of laughter from downstairs. She frowned and followed the sound. Her mouth half opened as she admired the contemporary look, decor and sober colors of the walls of the mansion from inside. Her heels clicked on the marble floor and the sound resonated through the silent hallway; only faint voices of people could be heard otherwise.

She held the thick golden railing of the stairway, she shuddered as she felt the cold surface and quickly retracted her hand only to place it again, this time firmly. She stretched her neck and looked down. The entire family were seated, laughing and chatting over tea and snacks. Watching them, she smiled a little.

They all looked so happy, carefree. She had always been a lonely introvert. She had only her brother, Azlaan and was close to Pooja, her ex-friend. Thinking about her and Gabin, made Anaya instantly feel bad. She sighed sadly.

She looked down at the happy family again and decided not to disturb them. She turned around and tugged her hair strand behind her ear. She had taken a step when someone called her, a feminine voice.

'Anaya.'

She turned around. Mehnaz stood up from the sofa and gestured with her arm. Anaya nodded and slowly climbed down the stairs. She kept fidgeting with the helm of her dupatta. Her gaze fell on Rashid, who smiled warmly at her. But she felt very awkward. This was awkward indeed; her boss was now her father-in-law. She had always seen him as a father figure, now he has become related to her. Life was indeed strange at times.

Anaya stopped behind Rashid and nervously looked at everyone. Mehnaz, Maaz's sister, was smiling brightly at her, a naughty glint in her eyes. Her daughter was busy with her toys. Only two people, a man, Anaya assumed to be Mehnaz's husband and Zainab were the ones who had grumpy expressions. She got negative vibes from them. She chose to ignore them and looked away.

'Come join us.' Mehnaz said brightly. As soon as she spoke, Zainab nudged her. Anaya noticed the glare the mother shot her daughter. Mehnaz masked the uncomfortableness with a smile and scooted little to give Anaya some space to sit beside her. Zainab got squeezed beside the Mehnaz and the armrest. She huffed. 

Anaya fidgeted with her dupatta, - 'I—um—will go make tea.' She made up an excuse.

'Don't worry about that, dear,' – Zainab interrupted, her tone was sarcastic, - 'We have servants here to do that. Not like a middle-class family.' She taunted.

Anaya inaudibly inhaled sharply. Mehnaz shook her head while Atif straightened in his seat, sneering. He gave a firm nod. Rashid, on the other hand, wasn't bothered and continued to sip his tea.

Ignoring her mother's taunt, Mehnaz insisted Anaya to sit with them. Nervously, Anaya looked at Rashid. He simply shrugged. Realizing she was on her own, she debated for a moment before sitting beside Mehnaz. She smiled and shifted closer to her.