29. The Awkward next morning

The next morning, Anaya was the first one to wake up

The next morning, Anaya was the first one to wake up. She stretched her arms and winced. Slowly, she massaged her nape. Now, she will have to adjust to this. This was going to be her life till the time they divorce. She removed the duvet and slid her legs down. Looking up, she found Maaz sound asleep. His arms and legs spread out and he occupied the whole bed. She crinkled her nose in disgust. She had never liked him but whatever respect she had for him was now lost.

She kept looking at him as she wondered about his wild night, last night. Even though he was married for a divorce, he slept with other women.

'Disgusting.' She whispered to herself and looked away. As she was about to get up, her mobile rang. She inwardly groaned and picked up the phone.

Ma Calling!!!

Anaya looked at Maaz's sleeping figure. He was disturbed by the ring but doesn't wake up and simply stirred in his sleep. She quickly picked up the call and hurried inside the bathroom.

'What happened, Ma? Why did you call me so early in the morning?' She asked in urgent whispers.

'I wanted to call you last night itself but—Your father and I were very restless the whole night.' She informed. Her voice sounded stern. Anaya was perplexed. What was the urgency?

Anaya: Then, why didn't you call me yesterday?

Ma: Your father had fallen ill because of so much stress.

Anaya gasped, - 'What? Is he alright now?'

Ma: Yes, but he won't be if you keep troubling him like this.

Anaya was taken aback, - 'Me? It was you people who forced me to get married to Maaz.' She reminded her.

Ma: We know. But we got you married for the money. In case, you forgot.

Anaya: Even if I forget, I don't think you guys will let me.

Ma: Good. (pause) I hope you didn't get carried away last night (Anaya rolled her eyes) Remember he won't have any trouble moving on, life will be as normal to him as always. But your life will change, forever--

Before she could say further, Anaya irritably interrupted her, - 'What do you want, Ma?'

There was a stern silence for a second before her mother spoke,

Ma: Just remember you are supposed to marry Sheeraz after this divorce is over. Just stay away from your husband, keep your virginity and honor intact for Sheeraz. Understood.

Anaya's mouth dropped open; she couldn't believe her mother could be so blunt. She took a moment to compose herself and then replied, - 'But Ma, Maaz is my husband.'

'Only on papers.' Ma was quick to respond. Anaya sighed and fell against the bathroom door. It was a waste trying to knock sense into her mother, out of fear she always does everything her husband tells her too.