44. Fantasies

Anaya decided to return to the party

Anaya decided to return to the party. She glanced at the grandfather clock placed near the stairways. It was nearly midnight, yet the party was in full swing. This time the guests were plenty, mostly Atif's side of the family. By now, Anaya knew Maaz's family members were few. Rashid's side only had his elder sister- Rashda Appa and no one else. Zainab's family had her elderly parents and her elder brother and his family who were busy with their aging parents.

Anaya looked around and was pleasantly surprised to find Maaz amongst the crowd. She smiled to herself.

'Nautanki.' She shook her head slightly. As she climbed down, she felt her vision blurry, her legs wobbled little. She grabbed the railing with one hand while she held her temple with the other hand. She stood still to steady herself and took a step when she felt better. She blinked several times before letting out a breath. She held the railing tightly as she took slow steps.

She walked towards the bar and got herself a glass of water. Along with the slight giddiness, she felt her throat parched. She took a sip of water and felt refreshed, but her head felt heavy. She hadn't eaten or drunk properly as she was too occupied to make the event perfect. Mehnaz had insisted she helped her with the function, also she wanted to show off in front of Zainab.

Maaz got bored and regretted attending the party, but he did so because his mother had called and insisted, he did. He was Mehnaz's brother and everyone was demanding for him. He got himself a glass of Mojito, took a sip and looked around. Just then, his gaze fell at Anaya and he squinted his eyes for a better look. She was at the bar. He was about to look away when he noticed her sway on spot and he realized something wasn't right. He handed his drink to Rashid, who stood beside him and didn't look pleased, and hurried towards Anaya. He pushed his way through the crowd but before he could reach her, she fell on the ground.

There was a collective gasp among the crowd, but it went unnoticed in the huge hall filled with thousands of people. Maaz shoved aside and kneeled beside Anaya. She was sprawled on the floor, unconscious. He leaned and slapped her face slightly, but she doesn't wake up. He called out her name but no response. He asked the bartender to pass him a glass of water and he sprinkled some water on her face. She frowned, moving her head slightly and her eyelashes flickered. Quickly, Maaz scooped her in his arms. He had a little difficulty lifting her and keeping his balance. Now, they had many heads turning towards them as he carried her towards the stairways.

Zainab hurried to them and held Maaz's arms, - 'Why are you carrying her? Let the butlers do that.'

Maaz opened his mouth to counter her but she doesn't listen and instead called for the butlers. Then, she looked sharply at Maaz, - 'There are reporters everywhere.' She whispered angrily. A butler arrived and Zainab ordered him to take Anaya to the guest room. Maaz reluctantly handed Anaya to him. He asked the butler to get few maids to make sure she was alright. The butler nodded and walked dragging Anaya with him.

Fifteen minutes later, Maaz couldn't take the restlessness and requested his father to let him go see Anaya. Rashid readily agreed. He could understand his son's discomfort. Maaz hurried towards the guest room.