21. Gold Digger & Dinosaur

Anaya had come to the hotel early today

Anaya had come to the hotel early today. Pooja had informed her that Gabin would be coming early as he had a morning shift. She adjusted her hair and walked into the kitchen. She looked around and was disappointed when she didn't find him. It was today or never; her parents were pressurizing her to get married. And it was all Maaz's fault. He joked about that night and hence the pressure.

Dejected she turned around and was about to walk away when she spotted Gabin walk in the kitchen. He was dressed in a chef's coat. Anaya felt weak in her knees when he ruffled his hair and gathered his hair tying it in a flowing bun. He doesn't notice Anaya and walked towards the counter. She fixed her expression and wiped the slight drool from the corner of her mouth and hurried to him.

'Gabin.' She called, and he turned. He looked surprised to see her. She smiled at him and he smiled back.

'There is something I need to talk to you.' She spoke urgently. Sensing the urgency, Gabin nodded. He placed his chef's hat on the counter and gestured with his hand. Anaya nodded and together they walked out.

'There is still five minutes for my shift to begin.' Gabin checked his watch. Anaya nodded.

'I will take just a few moments.' She said and lowered her head, then she closed her eyes and took a deep breath and looked up at him. Staring into his eyes, she felt nervous.

'Gabin, I wanted to tell you this since forever but—I couldn't gather the courage, but now it's desperate time—Gabin, I—I,' – She gulped and straightened closing her eyes, - 'I love you.' She blurted out. There was no response for a while and slowly she peeked with one eye. Gabin was blinking at her. Then, she opened both her eyes. Gabin was still blinking. Hesitantly, she extended her hand and touched the back of his palm,

'Gabin.' She called him softly.

Gabin looked away for a moment, then looked back again, - 'Are you serious?' He asked. His tone made Anaya a little hopeful and she nodded. He straightened and sighed.

'I am sorry, Anaya if I gave you wrong signals but,' – Her heart dropped, - 'I don't love you. But I like you that is why I be-friended you. Also,' – He looked slightly guilty, - 'I wanted to be your friend so, you could help me confess my feelings for your friend, Pooja.' He confessed. Anaya felt everything around her shatter, including her dreams. She felt tears prick her eyes. Seeing the tears, Gabin looked guilty.

'I am sorry.' He extended his hand and held her shoulders. Anaya blinked back her tears and licked her lips.

'It—it—is—o—okay.' Her voice wavered as she spoke. Then, before teardrop fell from her eyes. She turned around and clenched the notepad tightly against her chest. Gabin called her but she doesn't turn around and hurried towards her cabin.

Inside her cabin, she fell on the chair and wiped the tears from her cheeks and chin. She clenched the arm-rest tightly and rested her head on the chair. She closed her eyes and took a moment to herself.