30. New Entry

Anaya almost got lost in the sub as she hadn't taken Ali mansion's route before

Anaya almost got lost in the sub as she hadn't taken Ali mansion's route before. Finally, she took a cab. The security stopped them at the gate as they weren't sure who she was. She had to explain to them about her being the daughter-in-law of the Alis. A few minutes of explaining, they understood, finally, and let the cab pass inside. As Anaya got down, she noticed the cab driver smirked at her and had a weird look on his face. She shook her head irritably and handed him cash.

Anaya leaped and quickly climbed the stairs. She hurried inside the mansion and almost dashed into someone. The coffee from the mug the woman held spilled on her sleeve.

'Oh!'

'Oh My God!'- Mehnaz looked surprised, - 'I am sorry, Anaya.' She apologized. Anaya simply nodded nervously and urgently. Mehnaz observed her and placed a palm softly on her shoulder.

'What is the matter? You are looking tensed.' – Anaya just shook her head, Mehnaz smiled and continued, - 'I think I know what might be bothering you.' – she paused, - 'Today is your Muh-Dikhayi function and—Rashda Phoupi is coming from the US. Mom gets a little tense in her presence. She is Dad's elder sister and little—strict. Don't worry, Maaz is her favorite and you will be too,' – she gave out a peal of small laughter, - 'Now go. Mom was asking for you for a long time.' Mehnaz urged Anaya giving a tug with her hand on her shoulder. She nodded and took her to leave.

As Anaya walked through the corridor leading up to her mothers-in-law room, she could hear faint muttering. As she got closer, she heard laughter. Anaya stopped at the door. Along with Zainab, there was a young woman. She was slim and had ear-length hair. Zainab looked at Anaya and her smile faded. The beautiful woman turned her head and her smile broadened. She got up and hugged Anaya. She was surprised by the warm gesture but hugged her, nevertheless.

'Hi, I am Rukhsar. Maaz's childhood friend.' Rukhsar introduced herself. Anaya nodded and the two women shook hands. Zainab twisted her lips and got up. She stood in front of Anaya and touched her hair. She made faces as she ran her fingers through the length of hair and rested over her loose curls.

'What a mess.' She commented moving her hands from the curls. Anaya felt embarrassed but Rukhsar jumped in for the rescue.

'No problem, Aunty. I will take her to the parlour, and we will fix everything.' She assured her. Anaya looked gratefully at her. Rukhsar smiled back.

Before leaving the room for supervising other things, Zainab asked Anaya to choose and pick whatever fancies her from the bunch of ethnic wears placed on the bed. But she stopped at the entrance, turned around holding the door hitch and taunted her about not being able to afford such pricy and elegant clothes. Anaya bit her lip. Once again, Rukhsar stepped in and lifted her mood by distracting her.

▪⎯⎯⎯∞⎯⎯⎯▪

Maaz didn't want to come home. At work when he found out Anaya had left home early, he got irritated. He thought she left because of him. The rest of the time at work he couldn't concentrate and so he left. He joined his friends Alex, Norman, Hrithik, Imran, and Gautam. The friends hung out at a bar sipping drinks and talking their hearts out. Maaz felt the pressure of work and his anger melt. As he enjoyed his time with his friends, his phone rang multiple times. It was either his mom, Mehnaz or Rukhsar. He ignored them all. But he stopped everything when his dad called.