39. Spy has got something

Maaz groaned as he heard the doorbell to his suite

Maaz groaned as he heard the doorbell to his suite. He ignored the disturbance and turned to the other side. After a long pause, there was another bell and he sprung up. Muttering under his breath he stood up, grabbed his night robe and walked towards the door. As he tied the night-robe he flung open the door with the intension to blast the person on the other side.

His frown disappeared and his anger melted away as he looked at Anaya. She bit her lip and fidgeted with her fingers.

'Hi!' Her voice quivered. Maaz couldn't tell if she was nervous or excited, but it was something positive because she was smiling; a little.

'Oh, hi. What a surprise?' He straightened adjusting his hair and tried to charm her with his smile.

'Yeah,' – Anaya rocked on spot, - 'I wanted to talk—no—makeup—no—just, just come to the nearby KFC outlet please.' She spoke hurriedly towards the end and then rushed away. Maaz stood speechless and confused. He stood blinking at the spot where Anaya had stood.

Maaz dressed in casuals for the fast-food joint date, he dared call it a date, but he made sure he would impress her with his charm and looks. The joint was walking distance from the hotel they stayed in. Maaz folded the sleeves of his checked lavender shirt, pushed the door and entered the KFC outlet. He looked around and found Anaya standing at the counter. He observed her. She was dressed in a high neck, sleeveless yellow midi summer dress matched with white sneakers.

Anaya was oblivious to him and was busy checking the menu. The breakfast menu was up and everything looked tempting. She got super-confused. As she ran her gaze over the menu board placed on top of the counter, she felt someone stand close behind, but she ignored thinking the person to be just another buyer. The person behind her cleared their throat. Anaya again ignored him and simply took a step to her side. A moment later, the person tapped her shoulder. Alarmed, she turned around and found Maaz standing behind her.

'Oh, sorry.' She slapped her forehead. Maaz simply smiled.

She is cute – He thought, and the back of his head rebuked his thought. To avoid looking at her, he looked around. Anaya watched his expressions carefully and hesitated before speaking,

- 'I know this isn't your kind of place but it's the best I could afford.' She shrugged. Maaz shook his head and waved a hand.

'No, no, no. I—you know I am too lazy to exercise much and—eating here.' – he looked at her and added in haste, - 'don't mind, please.' His cheek flushed.

'Actually,' – Anaya avoided his gaze, - 'It won't affect much in one day.' She said awkwardly. Maaz felt stupid for saying what he said. It not only made him come out in negative light but also gave her impression that he was a total snob.

'Okay. Let us just forget that I said something.' He tried covering up. Mindlessly, he held her elbow and felt her stiffen. They looked at each other and he quickly moved his hand away.