41. Suspicious and Shocking

One week passed and things were going great for Maaz and Anaya

One week passed and things were going great for Maaz and Anaya. They had come closer and their friendship grew. Together they spend time at the balcony, mostly silent. At times, Maaz narrated his childhood stories, his love-hate relationship with his father. Anaya enjoyed his company and strangely his blabbering didn't irritate her anymore. But their time together made her want to talk everything about her as well. But something made her take a step back.

One day as she carried beer and snacks for Maaz she heard some murmurs from the smoking room. She stopped in her tracks when she recognized one of voice to be that of Gabin. She frowned as she wondered what he was doing there as he doesn't smoke. She raised her eyebrows when she heard a woman's voice. Curiosity got better of her and she tiptoed towards the door and carefully opened the door. Her mouth slightly opened upon seeing Gabin arguing with Zainab.

Zainab?

Anaya strained her ears trying to hear them but couldn't. She was surprised to see Gabin frustrated. He had always been so calm. But this time, he was fidgeting a lot, running his hand through his gorgeous locks. Their talks were hurried and hushed. She desperately wanted to hear them. As she leaned forward, tiptoeing she felt someone tap on her shoulder. She jumped on the spot and nearly dropped the tray she held. Her reflexes saved her from being exposed in front of Gabin and embarrass herself.

'Tsh, Tsh. What a sad day for Anaya?' Pooja smirked at her with her hands folded. Anaya frowned; her heart still raced.

'What do you mean?' She asked adjusting the beer mug and saucer plate. Pooja took a step and tried to peep in through the door Anaya had left ajar. Anaya's eyes widened and she quickly shut the door with her foot. Pooja blinked stepping back in time.

Anaya smirked, shrugging. She turned around and began walking but Pooja's words made her stop

'Is Maaz sir and his money not satisfying enough?' She spat. Anaya looked furiously at her.

'What do you mean? Have you no shame? We were friends, at least keep the respect for that.' She said. Now, she was exasperated as well. Pooja's expressions softened. Anaya had tears in her eyes. She had given her a hundred percent in their friendship and was ready to make amendments, but Pooja's words pierced her heart like a cold knife.

Pooja looked away and looked back, - 'You are evil, Anaya,' – her voice quivered, - 'Gabin was my boyfriend but he dumped me because of you.' There was hurt in her voice.

'What?' Anaya muttered.

'Yes!' Tears rolled down her cheeks, - 'You can't have Maaz sir and Gabin.'

After the shock sunk in, Anaya mustered the courage to speak, - 'I don't have anyone. And now—'

'But Gabin likes you.' Pooja nearly screamed and Anaya zipped her mouth. She wiped flowing tears from the back of his palms and turned around. Anaya had her mouth half-open as she watched her ex-best friend walking away.