32. Angered and Provoked

Anaya sat in front of the mirror and mechanically removed her jewelry

Anaya sat in front of the mirror and mechanically removed her jewelry. Her mother's words running through her mind. As if Sheeraz's presence wasn't awkward enough. Her mother had to remind her of the fact that she was to wed Sheeraz.

'He is losing patience. Your dad was saying that he is having second thoughts.' Her mother had spoken to her in private. Her words spoiled her entire mood and made her feel humiliated.

Her chain of thought was broken when she heard the doorknob click. She flinched and quickly removed her earrings, licked her lips and held the dressing table. She sniffed a strong aroma and turned her head towards the bathroom door. Maaz stepped out in peach round neck Tee and Jeans. Without sparing a glance at her, he sat at the edge of the bed and began wearing sneakers. Anaya watched him through the mirror. Maaz walked towards her and she stiffened. Ignoring her completely, he admired his reflection in the mirror and adjusted his hair. Anaya held her breath because the fragrance was too strong.  She turned to ask him but just then he turned away. She watched him walk out of the room and sighed.

As she looked back, her gaze fell on an envelope placed on the desk.

Best wishes,

From your Dad

Was written in beautiful cursive black ink. Slowly, she picked up and pulled out two tickets. It was a gift from her father-in-law. It was his idea of their honeymoon in a pretence of work. Maaz and Anaya were to travel to Dubai to meet Sheikh Mohammad Ashfaq bin Suleiman owner of a seven-star hotel there. This meeting was for them to expand their hotels in the middle east. She looked sadly at it.

Anaya wrapped sleeveless pink knitted cardigan around her waist and held it tightly as she walked in the gardens of Ali Mansion. At 12 in the night, Paris was slightly cold. Staying in the room, she felt suffocated and sleep eluded her. Maaz's indifference wasn't bothering her, in fact, she had forgotten he had left. Her mother's word still haunting her. But it wasn't her fault, Mrs. Hussain was just mouthing her husband's words.  Anaya sighed and kicked the grass underneath her feet. Why can't she stand up to her parents and say no? She is an independent woman, financially stable then what pulling her back? Her zero confidence?

As she silently strolled through the dimly lit garden, Anaya felt a warm palm on her shoulder. She was alarmed and turned quickly. Her breath caught in her throat. She let out a deep sigh upon recognizing Rashid. He looked at her with kind eyes, the one that had a concern.

'Beta? What are you doing out in this cold night?' - He paused looking around, - 'Where is Maaz?' – he looked back at his daughter-in-law, this time he looked angry, - 'did that moron hurt you?'

'No, no.'- Anaya shook her head, - 'Actually, I wasn't feeling well so I thought—Maaz, Maaz isn't at home.' She said. A small voice behind her head warned her to not say that.

Rashid frowned, - 'Huh! Where has he gone? Has he told you?' He asked, now sounding serious. Anaya lowered her head. She debated if she should tell him. She bit her lip. She can't hide nor lie to Rashid sir. Slowly, she looked up.