Time for you

"I miss you Jug" I sighed, playing with the loose thread on my blanket.

"I know, I miss you too" he mumbled in return.

"At least you'll be back from stonewall this weekend. We can spend some time together" I responded but got nothing back.

"Jug?"

"Betts...I'm sorry. I have to complete some stuff for Monday. I can't afford to mess up so I'm gonna stay here. It'll keep me concentrated and I'll have more time" he responded.

"Oh..um okay" I replied shortly.

"Betts, please understand that it's gonna be like this sometimes" he pleaded.

"Uh yeah. No it's okay..I should probably go. I need some sleep" I replied and ended the call before he could respond. I threw my phone to the end of the bed and sat there for a minute before laying down and letting the tears fall.

Jughead's POV

"Betty please don't be upset" I replied. No answer.

"Betts?" I checked the call and realised she'd ended it. I felt so guilty so I called her again but she didn't respond. I rung her again and she picked up.

"What?" she asked with shaky voice.

"Have you been crying?" I asked knowingly.

"Why does it matter?" she coughed shortly after.

"Betts, you knew it would be like this" I argued.

"So it's my fault?" she scoffed.

"No! You just have to understand that I've committed to this. I need this to go well" I protested.

"I know! Okay, I know because I encouraged you to go. I told you it was a perfect opportunity and I still think it is. I'm proud of you but I didn't realise how hard it was going to be. I miss you so much it hurts, I'm dealing with so much on my own and I just needed at least a night with you this weekend" she blurted out.

"I know and I'm sorry but it's hard for me to. I'm giving up a lot to stay here and I'm sorry that you don't have me there but you're fine on your own Betts. You're so much stronger than you think" I responded encouragingly.

"I need you here" she almost had to choke it out.

"I know baby, I'm sorry" I sighed, rubbing my hand over my face. I had no idea what to do.

"I'll be fine. I should go though, umm talk soon" she cleared her throat and spoke normally again.

"I love you" I announced. The call ended without her saying it back and it made me feel like crap. She always said it back...always.

Friday came and I was miserable for every minute of every hour. I stayed in order to concentrate but I couldn't even do that. I just wanted to see her again. We hadn't called or messaged in days which was so unusual and I was starting to think she was giving up. I was sat at my laptop as my fingers lifelessly sat against the keys, not typing even one letter. I gave up and shut the laptop before going online to book a train ticket. I just couldn't sit here and do nothing whilst she was sat at home feeling as shit as me. So I packed a bag and made my way to the station. There was no way I wasn't going to see her.

I knocked on the door of her old house/my house and my dad opened it.

"Jug? I thought you weren't coming home?" he grinned hugging me.

"I couldn't concentrate. Is Betty at school?" I asked.

"Yeah she'll be out in an hour. Want a lift down there?" he asked, taking my bag from me.

"No, I was gonna take my motorbike down there. I've missed driving it so I'll take it the long way" I declined. He nodded and I grabbed my phone from my bag before getting on my motorbike. I rode through the streets of my childhood town before making my way to my old highschool. It was almost haunting. Just standing there in front of it. It caused me so much agony and pain but I still seem to miss it. Or rather I miss the people in it.

"Dude! What are you doing here?" Archie called out, running up to me. We bro hugged before I answered.

"Just came to see everyone. How's the gym?" I asked.

"So good. You should drop by some time, the kids are awesome. Anyway I've gotta get there for some paperwork, call me yeah?" he asked. I nodded before he dashed off into the distance. Next Toni walked out and smirked at me before rushing over and giving me a hug.

"Jug! You're back?" she smiled.

"Yeah, I needed a break from my snobby classmates" I chuckled.

"Drop by the bar at some point?" she asked.

"Always will" I replied and let her go find Cheryl. Finally, I saw my blonde beauty pace out of the doors and rush down the stairs with her head facing the floor. She looked up and peered around before her eyes met mine and she halted. I grinned and winked at her before she broke out into a smile and dashed over to me, jumping into my arms.

"Nice to see you too" I chuckled, holding her tightly. I felt her shaking and held her close to calm her down.

"Relax baby" I whispered, trying to help her.

"Oh my god! What are you doing here?" she asked, pulling back.

"I couldn't help it. I tried to stay focused but I really needed to see you and then we had that call and it broke me. You didn't say I love you back and it messed with my head that you were so sad so I had to come back" I explained before she hugged me again.

"I brought my motorbike so we could go for a ride around like we use to?" I suggested.

"I love you!" she giggled and got on the back, her arms loosely around my waist. I took her arms and wrapped them around me tightly in order to keep her secure on the bike whilst she rested her head on my back.

"I love you too" I replied before setting off into the woods of Riverdale. We reached the river and sat down on a bench, looking over the murky waters.  

"How's Stonewall?" she asked me.

"The actual lectures are great. The people...not so much" I sighed.

"Yeah...Brett gave me a weird vibe to be honest" she agreed.

"What about Riverdale high? Anything new?" I asked.

"Cheryl is at war with the new headmaster but that's pretty much it. He's making students lives hell at the moment so she wants him gone"

"Knowing her she'll get him out of there so quick" I replied.

"Betts?" I asked again, after a short silence.

"Yeah?"

"What did you mean you need me?" I asked, worried something was going on.

"Oh um. I just...I don't know. We've always been 10 minutes reach from each other and all we did was spend time in each others company. Now...I barely see you Jug. I'm lucky if I even get a message or a call once a day. I know you need to be fully committed but it kinda sucks" she confessed.

"Come here" I spoke softly, opening my arms up. She shuffled into them and I held her tightly, warming her cold body up.

"I always have time for you okay? Just call me and I promise you I'll be there. I'm never gonna let you down Betty" I assured. She nodded and rested her head on my chest.

"You and me are in it for the long haul Cooper...I promise"