TEN.

AUGUST, 2017. CONT.

Ouch.

My body is on fire right now. And my head is pounding.

Where am I? It smells so clean.

Hospital.

Hold on, I'm alive?

I let out a pained groan as I slowly open my eyes, looking around. I'm in a hospital room, surrounded by bright lights. I can feel my eyes sizzling.

The first person I see is my mom.

Beside her is my dad. Claudia and Francis aren't here.

"Mom?" I call out into the cold air.

I sound like someone who just got their wisdom teeth out.

The sound of a chair being shoved over echos in the room as my mom and dad scramble up to my side. They're hovering over me with worried expressions.

"You're awake." Mom gasps out, immediately bursting into tears.

I look from my mom to my dad, utterly confused. They're both emotional wrecks. I don't think I've ever seen them so upset.

"What happened?" I question, rubbing my head.

"You don't remember?" Worry flashes across my dad's face.

I pause for a moment, shutting my eyes to remember everything that happened. Then it slowly begins to come back.

Headfirst into a semi truck. The car was spinning for a while until it flipped. I remember feeling utterly claustrophobic and crying. I was in a lot of pain immediately. Blood was everywhere. It wasn't all mine, though.

I remember Wesley being unconscious. He had blood coming out of his head. There were shards of glass everywhere.

Then the car caught on fire. And I remember thinking how dumb I was for ignoring the check engine light. Because in that moment, I knew I was going to die.

I remember panicking. I remember the fire getting closer and closer. I remember screaming for my life. I remember crying because I was so terrified of dying. I remember feeling regret. But I don't know why.

I don't remember the ambulance coming for us. So, I passed out thinking I was going to die.

But when I open my eyes again, I see my mom and dad. And I burst into tears.

"Oh, sweetheart." Mom whispers, taking my hand.

"I almost died." I cry out. "I almost spent my last moments so scared. With...Wesley."

Fear crosses my features as I begin to think of Wesley.

"He's alive. He's going to court for drunk driving."

He was drunk?

"Is the truck driver okay?" I ask through my sobbing.

"He's okay, sweetheart." Dad chuckles.

I sit up quickly, my mind going a mile a minute. My mom tries to relax me, but it doesn't stop the pain from shooting through me.

The door opens, revealing what I assume is my doctor. My shoulders fall.

I had hoped it was someone else.

"Well, Soleil. You took quite a hit." He speaks as he glances at his charts.

"Figured." I mutter.

"You hit your head pretty hard but no concussion so you got lucky. You're pretty bruised up, but nothing had snapped or broke. You did lose a lot of blood and had to undergo a lot of blood transfusions and that was our main concern." He explains as he reads his chart.