Koi Fish

|CHAPTER SEVEN

Paper wrapping around the tobacco is quickly turned brown and then to ash. Taehyung sighs, shaking his head at the cancerous stick, flicking the accumulating ash off into the river below. Rothmans are truly disgusting. Taehyung can hear Jungkook in the kitchen behind him, he takes time to be in the moment, just looking down at the flowing water.

SNAP!

Taehyung jolts up, looking out into the thick mass of trees across the rushing river. His eyes scan through the trees, trying to pick what could've made that noise. "Hey Jungkook," Taehyung calls back into the house, making sure to not break eye contact with the line of trees. Unsure if it's just the usual anxiety which plagues him, or something much worse than that.

"What's up Taehyung?" Jungkook calls back, making his way back to the veranda. Jungkook's anxiety spikes, looking across the river to the start of the forest, a pair of eyes meet his. Jungkook's eyes fill his poison, shooting daggers toward the person. Who ducks behind a tree quickly upon his spotting.

"I heard something," Taehyung mumbles, feeling Jungkook's presence behind him. Had he been with Yoongi, and the male would've brushed it off as one of Taehyung's anxious mannerisms. It's not the first time Taehyung's imagination has scooped him up and run away with him. "It's probably nothing," he shakes it off, looking away from the trees.

"You should get inside," Jungkook strongly suggests, looking down at Taehyung with the small height advantage he has. The gang leader notices the way Taehyung suddenly becomes very tense again. Like how he was last night. "It's nothing serious, there can just be wild animals," Jungkook reassures, patting the smaller boy's back to usher him back inside. Taehyung nods hesitantly, not entirely sure if he should believe Jungkook. "There's the egg fried rice on the bench, go help yourself," Jungkook convinces, which seems to do the trick for Taehyung.

As the boy happily skips inside, he turns around, wondering why Jungkook isn't following closely behind. "What are you waiting for?" Taehyung asks, noticing how the gang leader stands perfectly still, looking out at the treeline.

"You go inside, I have to call in the sighting of the animal," Jungkook informs, waving Taehyung off. The boy nods suspiciously, slowly backing away into the house.

The gang leader angrily pulls his phone out of his pocket, dialling a number. The person on the other end picks up immediately, knowing that the boss doesn't wait for anyone. "Treeline, west side. Don't let them get away, it'll be your neck," Jungkook spits into the receiver quietly as to make sure Taehyung can't hear the conversation. "Keep him locked up, E block. He's not leaving the compound," Jungkook snarls.

"Should we go into lockdown, Sir?"

"No," Jungkook growls, before hanging up the phone. He walks back into the house, sliding the doors closed behind himself.

Taehyung smiles softly at the leader from behind the counter, serving the two some of the delicious meal cooked. "Someone on it?" Taehyung asks, tilting his head cutely.

"Yeah, all taken care of, no need to worry," Jungkook reassures, gladly taking the plate of egg fried rice slid his way. "You can borrow some of my clothes again," Jungkook says suddenly. Pointing the fact that Taehyung is currently sporting one of Jungkook's many white shirts, which are way too big for the boy. As a result, the fabric falls off one of his shoulders, exposing the golden honey skin. Along with Jungkook's shirts, he also wears Jungkook's sweat pants, with the strings pulled so tightly it's almost to breaking point.

"Oh yeah, thank you for this by the way. I'll make it up to you!" Taehyung promises, giving Jungkook a goofy smile. The gang leader raises his hand, shaking his head as a sign that he doesn't need to. "No, you've done so much for me, from picking me up when I was drunk, putting through with me passing out and then also taking me back to your house. I need to repay you," Taehyung insists, pouting cutely.

Jungkook sighs, shaking his head with a sly smirk plays with his lips, "how about this, you just give me your number and then we make plans to hang out in future?" Jungkook suggests, earning a happy nod from the latter.

Comfortable silence fills the air for a few moments, before Taehyung speaks again, "this place is actually really fancy, where is this?" He asks.

"This is my compound basically," Jungkook answers truthfully. Taehyung's eyes expand as a sign of his shock, "remember what I said about my job?" Jungkook asks, earning an assertive nod. "I need to be on call a lot of the time, so I built this place up around my work," Jungkook explains.

"Ah, so you're obviously passionate about your job," Taehyung comments, looking around the room.

"You could say that," Jungkook shrugs, looking back down at his plate. "Just put your plate in the sink and then go chose something you want to wear," Jungkook instructs, noticing Taehyung's now empty plate. The boy nods, wandering off down the hall. Jungkook takes this time to silently sneak back out onto the veranda, looking back across the river. His men in their signature black suits are spotted walking into the forest. Guns raised. Jungkook nods approvingly to no one, walking back inside just in time for Taehyung to enter the kitchen once again.

"Ready to go?" Taehyung asks.

Jungkook looks at Taehyung's studying his features, "did you see a fox mask in my room?" He asks, ignoring the question asked. Taehyung nods hesitantly, "I need you to put it on for me."

"Why?"

"My compound just has a few rules," Jungkook lies.

===

Leaves crunch under shoes, as the two people walk alone through the massive compound. With the terrifying gang leader directing them through all the twists and turns around this maze of Japanese style buildings. The smaller boy looks around through all the cherry blossom trees, finding a sense of peace within the gardens. His attention is drawn to a small pond, as a splash is made. Taehyung walks to the edge, peering over into the water, only to find that it's entirely full of koi fish. All swimming in and around each other.

"I didn't know you had koi fish!" Taehyung exclaims, crouching down to the water now, watching in amazement as all the fish intertwine with one another. Like dancers twirling around on a stage. The gang leader stands behind Taehyung, watching on with him. "That one is so pretty," Taehyung whispers, pointing to a specific fish. Its white scales are tainted with permanent blood splatters, littering the otherwise pristine image.

Jungkook nods on in silent agreement, watching as the fish entangles itself with the others, swimming throughout and around in complete harmony. No words need to exchanged as Taehyung slowly stands up, leaning back into Jungkook's presence. A soft smile spreads across his lips, which is suffocated by the fox mask drowning his beauty. Taehyung is surprised by Jungkook's compliance with the sudden skinship, he seems to be a scary man, with many people in fear of him. Taehyung could see that by just the looks he got when Jungkook came to pick him up. Yet it feels comfortable to do this, Taehyung can feel his mind rest for the first time in a long time.

"Come now, we should probably get you back to Yoongi, and I need Hoseok," Jungkook sighs, secretly wishing that this moment could last forever. Taehyung's sweet peach scent while they stand and bask in the silence.

"You're right," Taehyung sighs, disappointed. "I expect that when we hang out in the future, we'll be doing something like this," Taehyung thinks aloud.

===

30.12.2019

===

ᴇ ᴍ ᴘ ᴛ ʏ