Ch. 9

Enjoy! I've been making good progress with writing, so expect more chapters out of me for the time being! 🖤

Y/n's POV:

I'm finally pulling into the parking lot of the department, after obtaining the folder Ariana wanted me to get at her place. I didn't except Pete to show up while I was there, so that made my trip take almost three times as long. He was definitely on something or things, because his eyes were completely bloodshot, he couldn't stop slurring his words, and he looked and smelled like he hadn't showered in days.

-Flashback-

I opened the door and was met by Pete, who looked like trash.

"You're not Ariana" he said.

"No, I'm not."

"Where is she?" He asks.

"She's not here." I tell him.

"Ariana!!" He shouts.

"Dude, I told you she's not here."

"What?" He asks.

"Oh my god, I said Ariana-is-not-home, understand?"

"Oh, then I'll just wait for her then." He says.

Uhh that's not happening. I don't think Ariana would really want me leaving her whatever ex at her house.

"Yeah um, why don't you just come back later? She's not supposed to get back for at least a few hours. I'm sure there's something else you could do in the mean time."

He just stands there, like it's taking every bit of energy and brain power for him to understand what I just told him.

"I guess I could do that." He says.

Thank god.

After what seemed like forever, he finally gets in his car and leaves. So I finish locking up Ariana's apartment, and then decide to call her.

-End of Flashback-

I get the car parked and then text Ariana, asking her where she is, so I can give her the folder. She quickly messages me back, telling me to meet her in Rashads office.

I do my best to get there as fast as I can, and when I do, I can hear Ariana and who I'm guessing is Rashad, arguing. However, before I hear too much, I decide to knock on his door. The room goes silent, and then a second later I hear the same man yell to come in. When I open the door, I see Rashad behind his desk and Ariana sitting in a chair, with her arms and legs crossed, looking rather annoyed. However, her face changes to a smile when she sees me, but it doesn't last long.

"See, I told you she was bringing it." She says.

"I never said that I didn't believe you Ariana, I just said that I needed them earlier then I thought today." Rashad says.

"Yeah, well I was doing my best okay." Ariana tells him.

The room goes silent again, so I decide to break it before it gets any more awkward.

"I uh brought you the folder, that I'm guessing you need now? I would have been here sooner but traffic ended up being busy on my way back." I say, while handing it to him.

"Yes, thank you..um Y/n is it?"

I nod.

"I very much appreciate that you were able to get this for Ariana." He says.

"Well, it is what I'm being paid for haha." He laughs along with me a little, until Ariana clears her throat.

"So, are we good?" She asks.

"Yeah, just next time please try and have them back to me on time or even better yet ahead of time." Rashad says.

"Yeah, I will, sorry, I've just been busy with a bunch of little things lately." She says.

"It's fine and Y/n it was nice to meet you." He says.

"Same to you" I tell him and then quickly follow Ariana out of his office.

When we're finally at a safe enough distance from his office, I decide to talk.

"So, what happened in there?"

"Nothing I want to talk about" she says, almost snapping.

I choose not to say anything else and leave her to go back and help Brian again.

"Well look who's back" Brian's says.

"Yeah" I say, a little snappier than I meant too.

"Woah what's with your mood?"

"Sorry, I just had to deal with the aftermath of whatever argument Ariana and Rashad we're having."

"Ohhh"

"Yeah, anyway what's up? Did I miss anything important while I was gone?"

"Not really. I mainly ended up listening to Ariana go on about that damn folder." He says.

"Why was it even that important?"

"I don't know, she always gets that way when it comes to paperwork."

Ding!

I pull my phone out of my pocket and see a message from the devil herself.

Ariana: Hey, sorry for being rude to you. I just get anxious when it comes to paperwork. I don't know why, but I do.

You: It's cool. I can understand where you're coming from.

Ariana: I don't have anything planned for after work. How about we go out somewhere? My treat.

You: Sure, why not. But, I'm driving if you're paying.

Ariana: Fair enough. Swing by my place about an hour after work.

You: Sounds good.

Ariana: Oh, and wear something casual, nothing too fancy.

What, casual but not too fancy? What does that even mean?

To Be Continued...

A/n: I promise that shit will start taking off soon. Slowly but surely, it'll all be worth it.