worst of you

Song for this chapter: Worst of You

- Maisie Peters

Sophomore Year:

"Mase." I giggle as he continuously pecks my lips, while we stand under the bleachers. "Stop." I laugh, but he just kisses me again.

"But I love you, Layla." He says, his brown eyes capturing mine as our eyes lock.

"I love you too, but you've got a basketball game in like ten minutes." I remind him, but he just pushes me further into the bleacher steps.

"I don't care." He says, pulling me by the waist so I'm pressed up against him as he brings his lips back to mine.

"Yo Mase!" Josh Anderson from Mason's team calls. Mason becomes alert and pushes me away from him, creating distance that I frown at.

"Are you okay? Josh won't care if he sees us together, he knows doesn't he?" I ask, but Mase just shakes his head. "But why not? We've been dating six months."

"It doesn't matter, does it? You're not gonna be one of those annoying girls that harass their boyfriends to make introductions to their friends, are you?" He says, his face screwed up into a frown.

"No of course not," I say, reaching for him but he just steps further away, "it's just I've introduced you to Cleo." I tell him, but he just scoffs.

"Layla, I have more than just one friend." He tells me, making me roll my eyes. I have more friends too, but Cleo is my closest and her approval means a lot to me. Mason has way more friends than me, obviously, and he likes to throw that in my face a lot. "Leave it, okay? Stop being annoying."

"Yeah. You're right. I'm sorry, I won't bring it up again." I apologise, and he just nods his head and then leaves.

"Throw cucumber at me one more time and I will pick up this whole table and whack you with it." Lydia growls at Reece, who just smirks and pecks her cheek.

"How sweet of you." He coos, making her pull his hair lightly. "Lyds." He pouts, brushing her hand away from him.

We're currently sitting at our usual lunch table, waiting for Gray and Myles to get out of calculus. Reece and Lydia haven't stopped bickering since the bell went five minutes ago and I've listened to it as we left the classroom, on our way here and now I'm sat here hearing it again.

"Hey." Grayson greets as he and Myles both slide in either side of me. He analyses my fed up, irritated expression and then looks in front of us to see what has got me riled up and laughs. "Cookie?" He asks me, tearing a piece off and handing it to me, already knowing what my answer is going to be.