if we never met

Song for this chapter: if we never met

- John K (feat Kelsea Ballerini)

(Brb crying about how perfect this song is for Layla's story)

"You didn't trust me." I mumble, looking down at my hands that fidget, playing with his buttons on his shirt.

"I'm sorry." He mumbles, "I really am. I just-" he pauses and looks away from me, seemingly ashamed of himself. "I really don't want to lose you." He closes his eyes, I slowly bring my hand up to cup his face, stroking his cheek with my thumb.

"You're not going to." I assure.

"You don't understand. The thought of losing you scares the hell out of me. I got jealous, and I treated you badly. You didn't deserve that and I'm so sorry." He apologises, "I don't deserve you, you're too good for me Layla." He mumbles. My heart starts to ache. The only reason he was annoyed was because he was insecure and took it out on me. It's still wrong but I see where he's coming from. This is all so new, we're not even official. I'd feel a similar way if I saw Gray with a random girl, the only difference is I'd probably talk to him about it.

"Hey." I mumble softly in efforts to soothe him, as I run my fingers through his hair. "You're no better than me in any way, you're perfect for me and I'm sorry if I haven't done a very good job of showing you that. In all honesty, the thought of losing you scares me too. I can't go through that, Gray. So you have to communicate with me, tell me when things upset you - however small, because once I know then I can do everything in my power to fix it and make you feel better. I can't do anything if you don't tell me what's wrong." I tell him and then plant a kiss on his lips. "You don't understand how important you are to me, how much you've helped me. You've made my life so much better by just being in it. If anything, you're out of my league."

"That's bullshit, baby. You're fucking beautiful inside and out. But from now on, I'll communicate better. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings, I never want to do that." He says and kisses my forehead delicately.

"It's okay." I mumble, my eyes suddenly feeling a lot heavier than they were a minute ago.

"Are you tired?" He asks, running his fingers softly through my hair. I let out a yawn almost immediately after. "I'll take that as a yes." He mumbles, placing a kiss on my forehead as he manoeuvres our bodies down the bed so he's fully lying down with me on top of him still. I rest my head on his chest as I wrap my arms around his neck - cuddling into him. He continues to play with my hair until I'm asleep and I no longer feel anything but a comforting silence.

❁    ❁    ❁    ❁    ❁

I open my eyes hesitantly, not really wanting to wake up at all. Grayson isn't in the bed when I fully gain consciousness, making me frown in confusion. Where is he?