bruises

Song for this chapter: Bruises

- Lewis Capaldi

"You're vocal chords are slightly swollen which explains why you're finding it hard to talk, the swelling will decrease with time and rest." The doctor tells me while gently pressing down on the bruised areas of my neck. I wince as his hands touch a sensitive bruise around the side of my neck and he pulls back immediately. He gently turns my neck before continuing his prodding in that area.

"You passed out due to your lack of oxygen, which was caused by the strong hold on your neck, which cut off your oxygen supply, along with the several bashes to your head. That's why you woke up on a ventilator, you should be fine now but you might feels sudden sprouts of dizziness or feel light headed, but again that should ease up with rest."

"There's minor bruising to your ribs where you were kicked, none are broken though. And you have a few scratches and cuts on your arms and knees which we've treated with antiseptics and bandaged your knees as the cuts were deeper there."

"In regards to your head, you have a mild concussion. We stitched up the cut there, unfortunately a small part of your hair had to be shaved, but it's not noticeable I promise." He then shines a light in my eyes and stares at me rather intensely before he finishes up and then turns to me with sympathy.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, as he writes notes of his assessment on the clipboard that was resting at the end of my hospital bed.

"Not too bad." I respond, I'm not feeling dizzy at the moment and the only pain I feel is in my throat when I talk.

"Any pain?"

"Just when I talk." I answer and he smiles at me, nodding his head.

"Then I'll stop asking you questions, I'll be back tomorrow to check up on you again before you leave. I've already told your father that we'd like you to stay overnight." I nod my head at him and once he leaves, I turn to my dad in concern.

"Dad- we cant afford an overnight stay. I'm so sorry-" he places his hand over my mouth to shut me up.

"Don't you dare be saying sorry about this, sweetheart. Insurance covers it, and even if it didn't it wouldn't matter because I love you Layla and you being okay and healthy is all that matters to me."

"But dad, the money-" I remind him. He shakes his head at me.

"The money is irrelevant, it means nothing compared to my love for you and your brother." He tells me, brushing my hair off of my forehead to plant a kiss there.