fight song

Song for this chapter: Fight Song

- Rachel Platten

I make it through the week without a bother. My friends seem to have come to terms with my decision and although it hurts a little, I know I'm doing what's right. They keep their distance, not really looking in my direction and keeping to themselves, adding a few of Amber's friends to their table. As long as they're happy, which they seem to be as whenever I see them they're laughing.

On Thursday I saw Grayson go home with Jess in his car again, they constantly seem to be around each other now and although I try to not let it bother me, it really hurts to see.

It's Friday the 20th, the day before the weekend and Mason's birthday. I wake up in an even worse mood as I remember the place we were in two years ago on this exact day.

I sluggishly make my way around my room, picking up random clothes and throwing them on and also not bothering with my hair or makeup.

Connor knocks on my door, no longer surprised as he was at the beginning of the week to actually see me up by myself. Normally I'd have be jumped on, but I'm not sleeping very well now that Brody is back.

Brody has been at the front of my thoughts as I wonder when the next time I'll see him will be. I know it'll be soon because he's an impatient boy and because he didn't get his way at the club, I know he'll be waiting for his time to confront me. I doubt that meeting will be very pretty.

Connor doesn't know that Brody's background, I refuse to tell him. I see how happy he is here, he's made friends and he's on the soccer team. I won't ruin that for him like I did back in North Dakota. This is my mess, I have to be the one to fix it.

I get in Connor's car, it's silent the entire way to school like it's been all week.

"What's happening with you Layla?" Con breaks the silence, and I snap out of my daze to turn to look at him with a smile on my face.

"Nothing, why?" I grin, but his expression remains stoic. I hate how he can see through my bullshit so easily.

"You've barely spoken ten words to both dad and I all week, you're not hanging out with your friends and they seem to be okay with that. What's happened?" He questions, as he put the car into park and pulls up the handbrake, turning his full attention onto me.

"I just-" I see movement from the tree at the edge of the school and when Brody pops his head out quickly, my heart stops. Shit. "It's Mason's birthday today." I mumble out. It's not a lie, more of a half truth as the reason I'm so down is the fact I've lost all my friends because of stupid decisions I made in the past.