The Pink Panther Theme Song

Chapter 37: The Pink Panther Theme Song

Obi and I make it back to the cottage a short while later after Ryuu convinced him that I'm not going to die as long as I don't get in contact with what caused the reaction again. I watch in amusement as Obi forces me to stand on the far side of the main room of the cottage while he puts the cake into a bag and puts it outside. He really is a terrible assassin. So many missed opportunities. I sigh and head into the bedroom to find something more comfortable to wear. I hate pants when I'm not working. I grab a random shirt from the bag and a pair of shorts, then close the door so I can change. As I settle on the bed to pull my hair back out of my face, I hear him knock. How polite. I call for him to enter but smirk as the door starts to open.

"Oh no, don't look. I'm naked." I snicker as he starts to cover his eyes but stops himself.

"You're exhausting." He sighs as he settles on the bed.

"Oh you have no idea, Love. Oh wait, we're newlyweds so I'm sure you know just how exhausting I can be." I laugh, then feel him shove me off the bed. "You're so rude."

"Oops. I guess I don't know my own strength."

I hold up my middle finger toward his smirking face as I try to get off the floor. It's a lot harder than I thought.

"Do you need help little bunbun?" He croons and I scowl but nod.

Once I'm back on the bed, I return to my original task of tying my hair back but he stops me. I arch a brow and try to ask what he's doing but my ribbon is hanging from my mouth. He doesn't answer and steals my ribbon. When I tell him to give it back, he pockets it and tells me to leave my hair down. I sigh, too tired to fight him on it, and release my hair to fall down my back.

"Can I ask you something?" He asks as I lie back on the bed.

"You just did."

"Thanks for the sarcasm." Obi sighs and I smirk as I look over at him.

"You should know better by now. So, what do you want to know?"

"What happened with those men, Nemi's father. You were going back to run The Pack then I find the world on fire and you screaming as that bastard laughed at you."

I bite my lip as the memories replay in my mind but I start to explain it along with mentioning that the men had seen us at the bar that night. I stop when I know that I'm caught up to what Obi had seen and try to blink away the tears threatening to spill. Seriously I never really cried but being around him seems to make me fall apart. Perhaps his presence is just really depressing. His hand comes into my line of sight and I follow his arm up to his face since he's settled against the headboard.

"Come here." He says softly.

I sigh and wiggle around until I'm sitting beside him. His arm settles around my shoulders and he lightly pushes me until I'm leaning against him.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"It's my life, I'm used to it." I mumble. "Also, you're still a terrible assassin."

"Even assassins have hearts."

I turn slightly to look up at him. "But shouldn't you save your heart for someone you care about, not a woman slated for death at every turn?"

"Probably, but where's the fun in that?" He grins.

"What about your declaration of war against me? Or your desire to hunt me down and capture me? Or better yet, the promise you made to your dear sweet master earlier today?"

"Who says they're still not in play?"

"Well considering you've saved my life several times and have given me shelter and lied to your boss's face about me, I think you might have given up, Love." I chuckle.

"I told you that if you were to die, I'm the one who will kill you so of course I saved you. Giving you shelter and lying to Master simply allows me to keep a closer eye on you."

"If you say so." I mumble around a yawn as I rest my head on his chest again. "I think you like me and are too afraid to admit it..."

I jolt awake out of a nightmare and quickly put my hands over my mouth to silence the scream that tore out of my mouth before it fades into muffled sobs. I feel a set of arms wrap pull me closer to their owner and I start to struggle against the grip until a soothing voice reaches my ears. I turn over and bury my face in Obi's chest, my hands gripping his shirt as his hand runs through my hair.

"It's okay Bunny, you're safe here." He mumbles, his voice still thick from sleep.

I cling to his words, repeating them over and over in my head though they're not true. I'm in bed with a man who is under direct orders to kill me. Even if he goes back on his declaration of hunting me down, orders from the castle will have him bound to kill me in one way or another. I slowly calm regardless and press myself closer to Obi.

"Are you okay?" I hear him ask as I get comfortable in his arms.

"I think so... Thank you Obi."

"Get some sleep, Bunny..." He mumbles and I can tell he's almost completely asleep again. "I've got you..."

I close my eyes but they immediately flick back open as I feel his lips press against my forehead. A soft smile crosses my face and I let my eyes close again.

"Goodnight Obi." I whisper.