Spirits Eat Animal Crackers For Lunch

Chapter 48: Spirits Eat Animal Crackers For Lunch

A/N: This is the final chapter! Also, I do now own the picture above, credit to the OG artist.

I move quickly through the grass with my daughter in my arms, whispering to her that she has to stay quiet or we'll be found. She falls silent and I duck around the side of the cottage before tucking us behind the tree. I look down at her and hold a finger to my lips. She mimics my action with a soft giggle as her crimson eyes look up at me. I hear movements behind us and suppress a grin as Obi appears beside me.

"I found you!"

Ember giggles as Obi steals her from my arms and lifts her into the air above him.

"You got us Dadda! You're so good at hide and seek!" She cheers before laughing as he plants a series of kisses all over her face.

"I'm not really good, Momma is just really bad at it." He chuckles and I stick my tongue out at him.

I watch happily as they start to run around the yard together as he halfheartedly chases after her. He catches her and gently pulls her to the ground.

"Momma! Dadda got me!" Ember calls out as he tickles her. "Help me!"

I make my way over and sit beside them before joining him in tickling her.

"Don't help Dadda, help me!" She squeals.

"Ohh, that's what you said. I didn't hear you." I chuckle as we release her.

"Momma, can we eat lunch with Big Sister and Uncle Squirrel?"

"Sure thing, Sweetie. Why don't you go inside and pick up your toys for me? Dadda and I will be in in just a moment."

Obi and I watch her skip into the cottage before he pulls me into a kiss. He'd just returned from a job this morning. He was gone for four days on a simple messenger run to Tanbarun and Ember instantly wanted to play hide and seek with him. No matter how tired he is, he always makes time for us, especially her.

"How was your trip?" I ask as I lay my head on his chest.

"Long and boring. I missed you both terribly." He sighs.

"Are you joining us for lunch? You know she's going to ask."

"Of course I will. What kind of day would it be if I didn't have lunch with little bunbun and smaller bunbun?" He grins.

"Did you ask Prince Zen about tomorrow?" I ask.

"He actually gave me two days and I know exactly how I'm going to spend them."

"And they are?"

"Ember's birthday tomorrow. It's not everyday that our little girl turns five after all. Then, we'll take her to the castle for her sleepover with Tawny and you and I can catch up on lost time." He smirks as he pulls me into a kiss.

"Ew! Dadda you're giving Momma cooties!"

We part with a smile and get to our feet to get our lunches put together.

Obi puts Ember down in the flowers and I let her drag me around to both sides of the pond to greet Nemi and Squirrel before we settle near the pond. I pull out her cut up sandwich, fruit slices, and bottle of apple juice. Once she's taken care of, I take my sandwich from Obi and lean my head on his shoulder while I eat. I smile softly as I feel her lean against me as well but she suddenly sits back up.

"Momma, did we bring their lunches too?" She asks, tugging on my shirt sleeve.

"Of course we did, Sweetie."

I dig around in the basket and pull out two animal shaped crackers and hand them to her. She gets to her feet and hands her piece of sandwich to me before moving around the pond to Squirrel's side.

"Hey Uncle Squirrel, I brought you lunch!" She chirps as she puts a cracker on the ground, then comes back and greets her sister and does the same before returning to her lunch.

She insisted on bringing them lunch every time she asked to come, so I told her that they only eat one animal cracker each since they'd have trouble taking other foods with them back to Heaven.

Obi carries her back to the cottage and takes her into her room so she can finish her nap. After eating, she'd fallen asleep talking to Nemi and Squirrel. I hate that Nemi and Ember couldn't have an actual relationship but I'm so happy that Ember still loves her big sister anyway. Obi named her Ember because her hair and eyes reminded him of a fire and I agree. It definitely fits her personality too. She's got a sharp wit and quick temper just like her parents. I put the basket back in the cabinet and move to the sink to start washing the dishes from breakfast. Before I can even turn the water on, I feel hands circle my waist and kisses trail down my neck.

"What do you think you're doing, little bunny?" He whispers in my ear, sending a chill down my spine.

"What does it look like I'm doing?" I smirk. "Are you as dumb as you are a bad assassin?"

He bites my neck before turning me around to face him. "What was that?"

"You heard me."

"I'll make you regret that." He growls as he pulls me closer.

"Somehow, I really doubt that, Love." I retort as I pull him into a kiss.