Paint Me Like One of Your French Girls

A/N: Pictured above- Snake, The Pack Bartender ^.^

Chapter 41: Paint Me Like One of Your French Girls

I can hear the sounds of construction not too far behind me and it brings a small smile to my face as I continue my quiet conversation while I work. It's been two months since Obi and I fought and made up in the cottage when I thought he was tricking me so he could kill me easier. He went to the prince the next morning to tell him that Rabbit was dead, which in a way, she is. I'm no longer Rabbit or Captain Mel. They're both dead and gone. Now I'm just Melione Villen again. It's nice. Obi's mission report led to him having to return to the castle though, so I haven't seen him properly since then. He snuck off the grounds one night and met me just outside of the walls and he just held me as we talked until the sun came up. I'm still staying in the cottage but I picked up a job... an actual making a paycheck job... so I've been saving the money and am finally able to get started on rebuilding where my cottage once was.

As I finish my work, I wipe my face with my sleeve but I'm fairly certain that I've only succeeded in smearing dirt and soot on my face. I'm finished though. I get to my feet and look across the clearing and pond to inspect my handiwork. The half of the clearing I'm in is covered in dozens of Nepeta flowers since they were Nemi's favorite and the other side is dotted with small yellow daisies and the plants blend together on the edges. I wasn't sure what to put in honor of Squirrel, but the yellow reminded me so much of the happiness he brought that I knew those were it. I think he would have liked it.

"It looks nice, Bunny."

"What are you doing here?" I ask as I feel arms circle my waist.

"I'm on my way to Shenazard Castle when I heard the noise and I knew you'd be somewhere in the mix."

"You're lucky. I was going back to clean up before I left."

Obi turns me around and I see the evident concern on his face. Any time I ever mentioned leaving, he got that look but I'm not planning to leave like I had before.

"It's not permanent... I just need to find a village near Port Town out there."

"There's nothing around Port Town but trees?" He tells me as we start to head back to the cottage.

"That's the point, Love. No one knows where to find it unless you know where it is."

"You make no sense."

"So, would you like to travel with me?" Obi asks as we reach the cottage, the rest of our journey spent in a happy silence.

"Hm, I don't know... Do I really want to hang around the world's worst assassin?" I smirk as I lightly nudge him with my shoulder.

"Fine then. I didn't want to spend my time with a dumb bunny anyway." He huffs, shutting the door behind me.

"Oh shut up." I grin as he pulls me into a kiss.

Obi and I head for Tanbarun two hours later, having gotten sidetracked with making up for our time apart. He's going to go with me to Port Town before heading up to the castle. We're supposed to meet again the following night to return home. I have to make a stop at The Pack base though. It's been arranged with Doe though, so I'm safe. I just haven't exactly told Obi about that part of my trip. I don't think he would approve of it. We reach the outskirts of the patrol parameters two days later and I stop him.

"What is it?" He asks and I avoid his gaze.

"I-I have a quick thing to do while we're here."

"What is the thing to do while we're here?" He presses as I dig through my bag.

"It's nothing bad, just stay here please and don't kill me." I answer while I tie my hair back from my face.

"Why would I kill you?" He's suspicious now.

I watch his eyes move to Squirrel's mask in my hands and he instantly latches onto my wrist.

"I thought you were done with those people? Who are you meeting with? Where? What?"

I gently put my hand over his mouth and shoot him a pointed look.

"Do you trust me?" I ask simply.

"Yes, but-"

"Then please just trust me. I'll be safe and I'll explain when I'm done. Also, you know nothing of this place when it comes to your master, alright?"

He sighs and clenches his jaw but nods and tells me to hurry and if I'm not back in five minutes, he's coming after me.

I make my way through the main tunnel back into the den of The Pack. It's strange to be in here again especially not being myself. No one pays me much attention but I can feel a set of eyes tracking me through the main room. I manage to track the gaze to Snake standing behind the bar so I drift over.

"Two bottles, Miss?" He asks with a grin.

"No, those days are behind me." I sigh. "So how'd you know?"

"There hasn't been another Squirrel since he passed and you kept the mask."

"But I was dead."

"Doe is a great leader but there is no way she could have ever killed you. Besides, you still carry the air of leadership. I knew it was you as soon as you walked in. So what are you doing here?"

"Doe has a package for me. She said she left it with you."

He grabs a small parcel from behind the counter and slides it over to me.

"Be careful Miss, enjoy your death."

"Stay warm, Darling." I smirk and drop it into my bag as I get to my feet.

I'm almost immediately tackled by Obi as I return as myself. Squirrel's mask is safely tucked away in my bag again. I assure him that I'm fine and haven't returned to The Pack or anything, but I had to pick something up. As we walk, he presses me for more answers. I don't tell him everything in great detail but he seems to be satisfied when I tell him that it's something important to me that isn't a criminal activity.

"I just want you to be safe. I worry about you." He sighs.

"When am I ever not safe, Love?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"