Chapter 33

A/N My laptop survived the tea!!!! Now let's all pray that all the keys work. :P 

Becca's POV

Today started off with Otto jumping on top of me barking his head off, which never happens. When he saw I was awake he stopped and jumped off the bed and ran into the living room. I was bearly awake but I knew something was wrong, Pongo would never miss the opportunity to join in on jumping on top of me. I took a second to wash away all the horrid thoughts out my head because that's not going to help anyone if I just sit here and spiral down. After taking a deep breath or two I jumped out of bed and rushed after Otto to see why he was acting like this and where the hell Pongo was.

Walking into the living room I saw Otto nudging Pongo with his nose while pining quietly. That's when a tear rolled down my cheek, Pongo's past was catching upon him. I rushed back into the bedroom to grab my phone and call the emergency vet and managed to get an appointment there and then. I then called into work and told Paul I wouldn't be coming into work because I needed to take Pongo to the vet now. He was amazing and understood letting me have as much time as I needed. While I made both calls I was sat next to Pongo with Otto curled up on me with his head resting on Pongo as if to make sure he was breathing. The sight broke my heart.

Both Pongo and Otto came from a backyard breeder, that didn't care about the parent's conditions one bit. All that mattered was that they made puppies. Pongo was a product of inbreeding and when I adopted him I was told that they weren't sure how long I would have him in my life because of this. He was already 7 years old when I got him. he was used as a stud after no one bought him, all the breeder cared about was money, not the puppies or the dogs, they were just a commodity to them. The theory the shelter came up with when they found all the adult dogs in the building with no sign of the owners is that they started losing money and just left them and took the puppies with them. 

I couldn't believe what I heard but I still got him as I was already in love with the pair. They both came from the puppy farm but thankfully Otto was in a better condition where breeding was concerned. Pongo and Otto were kept together in the same cage and they clung to each other like glue, which is surprising as normally big dogs would fight each other to get more room.

Everything felt like it was crashing down on me, I'd only had him for a couple of years and I wasn't ready for him to go and right now that's all I can see because there was no life in his eyes, he just looked sad and in pain. It broke my heart completely. I just sat there with him trying to figure out the best way to get him to the vets because normally we walk everywhere but I don't think he was up for that. To be honest, I don't think I was up for that either, I just wanted to sit there with him forever and cuddle him. I wish my love for him would make him better but I'm not sure that will do. I didn't know what to do, so I called Shayne, I was a mess and I needed a friend.

I don't know what I said or if he even understood what I said but he came over right away without a second thought. He used the key I had given him for emergencies and sat next to me and just hugged me for a bit, trying to slow down my tears, it didn't really work but I needed it. He looked at Pongo and just started to talk to him, I don't know who it was meant to comfort, me, Pongo or Otto, I mean we all needed it.

"Hey bud, looks like you need some seeing to huh." He said in a whispered tone. Pongo sputtered out a soft buff and looked up at Otto then me.

"Now I know no one likes the vet but you gotta go huh." He paused for a second to take a breath and pet him some more.

"Don't worry though, me, Otto and your mom will be there with you, can't let you go alone can we." he stopped for a second to think, Shayne looked at me with a smile and squeezed me a little tighter. He turned back to Pongo and smiled down at him.

"So I'm gonna order an uber for us all and get all the stuff you'll need and then call in work to say I can't come in. While Otto and your Mom here sit with you and talk to you ok." He said with a sad smile, he said it to Pongo but I could tell it was more for me than him.  I think he knew nothing good was going to come out of all this, like the rest of us. The only difference was I could see the hope in his eyes, it was the same hope that was in Otto's and should be in mine. No one in this room was ready to say goodbye to him, he was too much of a good boy.

Shayne stood up and walked over to the kitchen so I could talk to Pongo without messing up with his calls. I took a few deep breaths before I was ready to talk to him. It made me realised that I hadn't actually said anything to him yet, I've just been sat there petting him and crying while making all the calls I needed to.

"Hey, baby boy." I cried softly with the best smile I could muster, it was pathetic and we all knew it, Fuck everyone in the god damn would 

"I'm gonna be with you all the way, you know that right. I'm not gonna let you be alone, if I can't be with you Otto will be. I'm sure he'll make sure of that." I laughed slightly at the statement, Otto huffed in agreement to, which made me laugh a little more. Pongo wagged his tail twice, it looked like it was the most he could muster.

"How come you're in here though baby, Why'd you leave me and Otto in bed alone, Huh?" I asked sincerely as I looked at him, that's when I saw what he was resting his head on, the first toy I ever got him, the that was his and his alone. Otto had one too, but his had a red ribbon on it. He must have left it here last night and wanted it but didn't have the energy to come back to bed.

"You and that toy huh. You've destroyed every toy you got but that one." I smiled as I kissed his head. I saw him start to shiver and got up to grab his favourite and covered him the best I could. I looked at my two babied and smiled, Otto had moved so his front legs were under the blanket and his head was yet again back on Pongos chest.

"God, I love you guys." I laughed through tears as I sat back down and manoeuvred myself so I was curled up and lying in between them. Just enjoying something I may never get to do again.

"You're the best boy Pongo," I whispered to him as I kissed him and put my head back in between my dog's heads.

A/N Sorry it took a while to update My week off work started out with me being ill as hell. Anyway, I'm feeling a little better so there should hopefully be another chapter today. I hope you like the chapter. Hugs *from a distance so you don't get sick too* B xxx