Chapter 63

Becca's POV

By the time Shayne got back I had fallen asleep, so obviously he carried me into his room. An hour after that, I woke up and groaned. I walked out, hoping he was still awake so we could swap. Or at least so I could try to make him swap. It wouldn't have changed his mind as I know for a fact as soon as I fell asleep again he would have placed me back into his bed. Sadly, he was already asleep, so I just covered him with a blanket and kissed his forehead. Even if it annoyed the hell out of me, I couldn't help but love him for it as it was super sweet.

Otto's pining woke me. My heart sank at the sight of Pongo lying still. Otto was nudging him with his nose, trying to wake him up. Pongo curled up in my chest. I couldn't feel him breath or his heartbeat. He was cold... He was gone. I couldn't think, I just yelled for Shayne.

"Oh, baby" I whispered as I cried. I wrapped my arms around him knowing there was nothing I or anyone could do for him, I just wanted to hold him close. Shayne came in tired and confused, but as soon as he saw the three of us he came right over.

A million thoughts were going through my head trying to make sense of how this had happened. He was fine yesterday at the studio, happy as can be. Okay, maybe he was a little more cuddly, but I thought that was just because there were more people around him. I... I thought he was fine. He didn't act like there was something wrong. He was moving around as if he didn't have surgery back in December. He was finally back to his crazy fast self. Why now? Why him?

My heart broke knowing he was gone, but the fact that he curled up in my chest like he was my baby made me cry harder. He really loved me and felt safe with me. Even with all the drama that's gone on in my life. Otto stopped nudging him and just rested his head on Pongo's.

Shayne was on the phone, calling the vet I think, I wasn't sure. All I could hear was Otto pining and my quiet sobs. I just wanted to stay like this forever. Cuddled up with my boys... My babies. Pongo saved my life, and I was too fucking deep in sleep to save his. How is that fair? He made it easy to wake up for work on days where I didn't want to do anything. He and Otto made me feel like I had a family when I was all alone. Pongo and I both had the same thoughts on fetch and squeaky toys. We hated them. He loved to cuddle up with me even when I was in a foul mood or bawling my eyes out. How was I going to cope without him?

I don't know how long the three of us stayed like that before Shayne finally came over and told me we needed to take him to the vet. I didn't want to move at first, but I did, I had to. Moving around him as is he was asleep, and I didn't want to wake him. I got up and put shoes on, not even caring that I was still in my pj's. I looked for his favourite toy, but I couldn't find him.

"Where is his moose? He needs his moose." I frantically spoke as I searched for his toy. Otto hadn't left Pongo's side and was now curled up on the couch with his brother.

"Hey, hey, breath for a second okay," Shayne spoke softly as he put his hands on my shoulders. "He probably already has it. You know those two, they don't go to bed without their little buddies." Shayne whispered softly. I slowly nodded my head. Just then, 'as if he was listening to us, Otto poked his head up, holding Pongo's little moose.

"I just.." I chocked out. Shayne shushed me and pulled me into a massive hug. "He needs his toy to feel safe," I whispered into his shoulder.

"I know," Shayne whispered softly rubbing my back trying his best to comfort me. Unbeknownst to me, he had already sent Ian a text telling him he couldn't come in today as Pongo had passed and he needed to be here for me.

"What am I going to do now?" I sniffled, my head was still hidden in his shoulder.

"First, we need to take Pongo to the vest so they can do what's needed." Shayne softly explained before kissing my forehead.