Chapter 35

Becca's POV

It wasn't long before I was back on my phone, but there was only so long that I could just read tweets and try to take my mind of what could be wrong with my baby while reading nothing but kind words and things about him. All I could think about was how I hadn't had enough time with him and how much I wanted and needed more. There's nothing I can do for him and I hate that feeling. I sighed and put my phone away, not wanting to do anything but sit.

"You ok?" Shayne asked looking down at me. I just shrugged my shoulders not knowing what to say.

"I just don't get it, he seemed fine yesterday. I can't believe I missed things," I said while looking down at my hands as I twiddled my thumbs.

"It's not your fault. They had their vaccination boosters and a check up a couple of weeks ago and they were both completely fine. Don't beat yourself up about it." As he said this he squeezes me a little tighter and kisses the top of my head.

"I know, that's why this is really confusing me. I don't get how he can do a complete 180 health-wise overnight." I sigh and just cuddle up further into Shayne's shoulder/chest.

"This is gonna seem way off-topic, but why did you decide to adopt both of them rather than just one of them?" He asked I could tell he was trying to stop me thinking about what is going on with Pongo.

"I don't know. When I got to the shelter they were the only two who didn't start barking their heads off or come running to their cage door. It was like they had given up on getting a forever home. I decided to just go in their cage and hang out with them for a bit, see what they were like, you know." I said smiling at the memory.

"They looked at me and then at each other as if they were seeing what each other was going to do. I just sat on the floor by the door and looked over at them. I could tell they were a little nervous about me being in their space so I just got my phone out and in a sense ignored them. I started to laugh at a dumb picture of a random dog that I can't remember and that must have intrigued them. They both walked over and sat next to me." I laughed at how stupid I must sound right now.

"I put my phone down and just talked to them how you would talk to a small child. I told them who I was and why I was there. I felt like a right idiot as I could see the woman behind the front desk and I just knew she could hear me. I told them about Jake and what he did and it felt as if they knew what I said because they both lied down with their heads on my lap looking up at me. It was as if they were telling me that they would protect me. I stayed in there talking to them and stroked them gently every so often doing it gradually more often as they got more comfortable with me." I looked up at Shayne and I saw he was smiling down at me as I carried on talking.

"I remember when I stood up they looked really sad, I think they thought I was going to leave them there. I left their kennel and went to the front desk, the look of the lady's face made me wanna crawl into a black hole. She told me that I was the first person in months that had actually wanted to see the guys. Everyone overlooked them as the didn't rush straight to the door to greet them. I talked to her for a little bit, she said she was sorry about what I had been through as she could indeed hear what I was saying to them. I signed the adoption papers, paid the fee then and there. She gave me two slip leads to take them home in. The look on their face when they saw me come back over with two leads is a look I'll never forget. They looked so happy and grateful, it was the first time I saw them full on wagging their tails." I smiled at the memory and my heart swelled a little. Shayne was just sat there listening to everything I was saying probably not even thinking about talking.

"The first thing I did was go straight to pets at home and get them a cute collar each along with matching leads. I printed out the tags they would still be wearing if I didn't have to get new ones when I moved here "If lost call *******" I still have them at home. I got them their favourite toys." I picked up the Moses that was in my lap and shook it slightly.

"It didn't even cross my mind at the time to only get one of them. They were a pair when I got there and I guess I just assumed that they had to be adopted together. They are basically brothers, I couldn't separate them." I smiled down at the toy in my hand and then looked up at Shayne who had a weird look on his face.

"Only you would sit in a dog cage with two dogs you didn't know and just talk to them like they were kids." He laughed with a stupid smile. "They were really lucky to get you as their owner, and I really mean it." 

We carried on talking for a while about dumb things about the dogs and things like there first walks and stuff like that. He actually managed to take my mind of off what was going on. That was until the nurse came out with a very sad looking Otto. There was no sign of Pongo joining him.

A/N I edited this on my phone as I babysit the kid I usually do. He is watching weird kids YouTube videos. Lord help me it is creepy!! If there are any mistakes please tell me and I'll fix it. 🙂