Homefront

This is a very long chapter so bare with me. And pay attention to little details about Raegan's powers. 😉

September 17 Mount Justice,

I was sitting in the lounge area with Canary. We weren't doing anything in particular, well I wasn't.

We actually were supposed to be playing a game of cards, but...

"Raegan.." she spoke.

I looked at her.

"You wanna tell me what's going on?" She asked smiling at me.

I sighed. "I guess I'm still a little... disappointed I couldn't help the Reach scientist. I guess it's a little ridiculous to feel bad for someone when I didn't even know her name." I said looking down.

"It's not ridiculous to feel bad about something, it's human." She said looking at me. "Raegan, in this line of work, of a superhero.. it's physically impossible to save everyone. No matter who-"

"But the scientist was just one person!" I stood up. "And I couldn't even save her." I walked out the room.

~

September 22 Fawcett city,

We were still in the process of moving everything to Metropolis. They think it'll keep the bad guys off my trail if I stay in Metropolis and go to school in Gotham, which no one knows about but still... I still have to Zeta to school every morning. And to make matters absolutely worse, the uniform is hideous.

I walked up to the school seeing people walk to and from class buildings. High schoolers, middle schoolers, and elementary school kids were separated into three different buildings. I walked onto the quad looking around for the right building when I was grabbed by a boy. He held up a camera and said, "We'll laugh about this one day." Before snapping the picture.

The flash of the camera made me close my eyes. When I opened them again he was gone but Artemis was standing there just as confused as me.

"Artemis?"

"Raegan? What are you doing here?" She asked slightly panicked.

"I go to school here now. Did you and Gr- uh.. your uncle move here?" I asked catching myself.

"Oh.. umm, yea, but um, my uncle still owns his apartment in star city." She said as the bell rang. "Well, that's my cue. I'll see you back at the ca- um. I'll see you later." She smiled walking away.

~

"Hello class, we have a new student here with us today." The teacher said looking at me. "Why don't you come introduce yourself to the class."

Oh great, the first day introductions. I looked at my peers shyly as I walked up to the front.

"Um.. hello.. my name is Raegan Stewart." I said lowly.

They all looked at me funny. I really wish I was home right about now. Who ever said change was good, never had to introduce themselves in front of a ton of people.

"Thank you Raegan, you may take a seat." The teacher smiled.

I sighed sitting back down.

As the teacher was talking all I could think about was wanting to be home and the reach scientist and that Lobo. It was all honestly overwhelming. Too overwhelming.

I raised my hand.

"Yes Raegan."

"May I go to the bathroom?" She nodded and I rushed out of the class and down the hall. I needed a major break. I closed the bathroom door rushing into a stall. I sat on the floor taking deep breaths.