Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The following next days were... quite depressing. Mom and I stayed at the same shabby hotel for the entire week, and I was starting to grow very grossed out by it. The bed was uncomfortable and the heating element didn't work, so it was freezing in the entire room. Not to mention the spiders I had seen crawling up the walls. I hated it, and we hadn't even been there for long.

I had gone to work almost every day since we left and stayed there for as long as possible. If I had an early shift, I stayed after and if I had a late shifty, I showed up there earlier. Dylan didn't have anything against it. If anything, he enjoyed my company and was glad to have me there more often.

Unfortunately, my bike was left at home, so I had to walk to work the days mom left early for her work. The only good thing about this hotel, though, was that it was located close to my job, so it didn't take more than ten minutes to walk there.

As for mom, she hadn't said much since we came here. She mostly kept to herself and listened to music or an audiobook. Sometimes it felt like we were living two completely separate lives even if we stayed in the same hotel room.

To be honest, I missed it. I missed my room, the entire house... and I missed dad. I wanted to talk to him, let him explain what had happened. I wanted to know why he did it, why he thought it was worth splitting the family apart. However, I was pretty sure I wasn't ready to have that conversation with him just yet. I still needed time to let everything sink in.

Right now, I was climbing the stairs to the hotel room where I knew mom would be lying on the bed with her earphones plugged in. When I turned the door handle and entered the room, I was surprised to see that I was wrong. Instead of lying on the bed grieving, she was up packing her bags.

"Mom, what's going on?" I wondered, feeling nothing but confused.

She turned to me, a small smile appearing on her lips. "I've talked to one of my co-workers and she's willing to let us stay at hers for a while."

My eyes widened. "What? Are you kidding me?"

She shook her head, the smile spreading. "No, she must be the most kind-hearted co-worker I've ever worked with. I mean, I knew we were friends, but I never expected this."

I walked over to wrap her in my arms, hugging her close to me. "I'm so happy right now, you have no idea."

She stroked my hair. "Me too, darling."

When I pulled away, I kept my attention to her. "When are we going there?" I asked, the smile never leaving my face.

"If I hadn't paid for the night, we could've gone today already, but now we have to stay until tomorrow morning. But I guess that's probably even better because it's a Saturday tomorrow and none of us have work."

I nodded in agreement. "Yeah, you're right. So, after breakfast tomorrow?"

"Yes."

With that said, I started packing my things as well. It didn't take more than five minutes, though, because I had literally nothing here. All this week had been hell because of that too. I was really in need to go home and get some stuff, so I could wear more than just two outfits every day. It was a good thing that we had special working clothes, otherwise, people would've been looking weirdly at me by now.

When we were lying in bed that night, a thought came to my mind. "So, do I know this co-worker we're staying at?"

Mom shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know," she said truthfully. "Her name is Nicole Flender. She's divorced as well and has two kids."