Chapter 21

Chapter 21

The next day, I was sitting at the kitchen table when the doorbell went off

The next day, I was sitting at the kitchen table when the doorbell went off. Mom and Nicole were home too, mom sitting opposite me while Nicole was in the living room. Mom furrowed her eyebrows at the sound of the bell going off while I got up to go to the hall.

I opened the door to reveal a smiling Aden, his curly hair a little disheveled from the wind outside, but he still looked very good. "Hello," I greeted, instantly turning around to grab my jacket and slip my sneakers on.

Before I could leave the house, though, mom joined us in the hall. "Who's this Jules?" She wondered curiously.

I turned around to face her. "Uh, this is Aden, a guy I met at work," I explained to her, feeling slightly embarrassed that this was the way mom had to find out about him.

She walked forward to shake hands with the blonde guy, who instantly flashed her a polite smile. "It's nice to meet you..."

"Trisha. It's nice to meet you too, Aden," she said politely. "I don't know what you guys have planned to do this evening, but take care of my daughter, alright?" She continued in a serious tone, making Aden chuckle.

"I promise."

I motioned him to walk out the door before mom said anything else, something more embarrassing. "Okay, see you later mom!" I called before we left and I shut the door behind us.

We walked to Dylan's black Audi in silence before we both got into the car. "I'm sorry about my mom. She can be very nosy and straight forward sometimes," I apologized.

He just shook his head with a smile on his face. "You don't have to apologize. She just cares about you, Julie. You should appreciate that."

I looked down at my lap, a small smile making its way to my face. I was happy that she cared about me, but sometimes she could show it a little too much, especially at times like this. "I do," I told him honestly.

Aden drove in silence for a few minutes until he broke it. "So, tell me something about yourself. Are you here from New York originally?" He wondered.

I nodded my head while looking out the window. "Yeah, I'm from the other side of the city. I've lived there my entire life up until only two months ago."

From the corner of my eyes, I could see his eyebrows furrowing together. "Would you mind telling me what made you move?" He asked gently, making me smile.

I liked that he was so thoughtful instead of being arrogant. No one enjoyed people who demanded an answer from you. "My mom and dad had a disagreement, so mom and I left the house. We lived at a hotel for a week until Nicole, mom's co-worker told us we could stay at her place," I explained. I didn't want to get into detail because I barely knew him, and as mentioned before, I didn't like talking about personal stuff with people.