Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Timmy looked up at me as if asking what to do

Timmy looked up at me as if asking what to do. It wasn't hard to tell he was uncomfortable in the situation and conflicted about whether to pick up or not. Should he answer the call to find out what his dad wanted, or should he decline it?

"Pick up," I urged him, making him swallow hard. "I'll go if you want me to."

He shook his head vigorously. "No, then I'm definitely not going to pick up. You stay right there," he ordered.

A small smile crept to my lips as I nodded my head. "Alright. Just answer him and hear what he has to say. Then you can do whatever you want."

He bit his lip before hesitantly sliding his finger across the screen. Bringing the phone to his ear, he took a deep breath. "Hello?"

I could see how his Adam's apple wobbled when he talked, how his lips twitched nervously when his dad said something, and how he kept biting his bottom lip. It was a wonder how it wasn't bleeding yet.

"You haven't tried getting in contact with us since you left," he mumbled, picking at his food with his fork.

He said a few more words, nodding his head but still looking sad.

"Yeah, alright. Bye," he breathed after a few minutes, ending the call.

I looked at him in anticipation, waiting for him to tell me why his dad suddenly wanted to contact him now. It took a few seconds until he lifted his gaze, though.

"So...?" I asked tentatively.

He shrugged his shoulders. "He apologized for not getting in touch earlier, and he said he wanted to sit down and talk one day."

My eyes widened in surprise. "Really?" I gaped.

He pursed his lips, nodding his head.

"How do you feel about that?"

Letting out a deep sigh, he shifted in his seat. "I don't know, to be honest. Ever since he left, I've been going around waiting for him to get in touch with me, but now I don't know what to think anymore. It took him so long. It's been eleven years since he left."

I furrowed my eyebrows together. "What was his excuse for not doing it earlier?" I wondered.

"He wouldn't tell me now. We'll talk about it when we meet, he said," Timmy shrugged.

"I see," I mumbled in understanding. I waited a few seconds until I opened my mouth again. "Do you want to meet him?"

I was being straight forward with my questions, but it felt like by being so, I slowly made him realize what he wanted to do about the situation.

He bit his bottom lip. "I don't know... I think so? I miss him so much and hearing his voice made it feel like a missing piece had been put back into my heart. I just don't know what to think, how to react, or what to do," he explained, looking at me with big, green eyes, filled with confusion.