38 - Soon

The high alpha territory of Osaka had once looked beautiful. Now, half was destroyed, the population dwindling as the war continued. Buildings were collapsing due to multiple explosions days prior. Innocent members of the packs, lying dead in the streets. Sana hated herself for not catching onto anything sooner. Preventing the war from going any further. Her sister had recovered, taking her place next to her sister with still healing wounds. She vowed to protect her pack even if she didn't believe in it as much as her sister. The only thing keeping her with the pack were the multiple changes Sana had made, children staying with their parents until they were of a mature age to live on their own. Allowing visitors, trade deals expanded.. Everything had changed for the better.

"Do you think they caused the war because of the changes?" Sana asked her sister.

"Hardly. I remember elder saying they were a rogue pack.." Momo answered. Sana looked over at her, seeing the bandages wrapped around her left forearm, the still healing cuts from knives on her face... "Hey." Momo snapped her out of her thoughts. "Don't blame yourself. I should've heard them coming." She sighed.

"No. It's my fault. As pack leader, this shouldn't have happened." Sana growled.

"Need I remind you that the northern pack killed the elder, sparking this whole thing." Momo snarled. "It wasn't you. They hated everyone from the beginning." She frowned. Sana nodded, feeling slightly better, but still terrible.

"Have you spoken with Dahyun?" Sana frowned.

"Yeah.. She's safe. Our little boy is safe too." Momo sighed. "And Mina and the girls?" She asked.

"Safe. I haven't spoken since the raid... I just hope they're all okay.." Sana whispered. Momo placed a hand on her sister's shoulder, knowing everything was going to hit its peak soon. This war couldn't last forever...

Mina had found Dahyun, both of them meeting frequently to discuss everything. Dahyun had kept contact with Momo, who had tabs on Sana. Mina was grateful her mate was still alive, just had no way of contacting her.

"He's adorable." Mina whispered while rubbing her thumb on the little pup's cheek.

"Thank you.." Dahyun sighed. "I just wish Momo was here... He's already started crawling..." She gave a her a tired smile, tears beginning to brim her eyes.

"She'll come soon.... The war will be over before we know it... Everything will work itself out..." She tried to comfort her friend, trying her best to comfort herself at the same time.

But the war had continued, had gotten worse. High alphas were accepted into other packs, most civilians fleeing their own country because of the war. Mina recognized a few of her fellow pack members in the streets, all of them desperately wanting the war to end. She saw mothers clinging to their children, siblings shaking from the trauma...

"Mina..." One of the mothers whispered.

"I know.." Mina frowned, looking down at the youngest of their family. "The others?" She asked. The mother shook her head, tears running down her cheeks. She pulled the alpha into a tight embrace, knowing the feeling all too well..

"The leaders all stayed behind... Fighting with what's left of the militia..." The mother informed her.

"All of them?" Mina asked.

"All of them..."

Months the war continued, going on almost a full year. Mina had gotten small calls here and there from Sana. Once a month she got them now when she could.

"I'm so sorry..." Sana started. "I'm trying... But it's hard." She whimpered.

"I know..." Mina frowned. "How long?" She asked.

"Just a few minutes... Tell me about the girls. I need to hear some happy news." Sana sniffed. Mina sighed, knowing things were not happy for her.

"Yukime and Shizuha started school... Both of them are in an all alpha school." Mina whispered. "Shizuha passed the tests... She's an alpha like you. If not more.. Yukime passed the tests as well, average alpha." She continued. She heard Sana's quiet laughter.

"Both of them take more after me don't they?" She chuckled slightly.

"They're worried for Shizuha.." Mina frowned. "She's not a traditional high alpha or traditional average alpha... She... She's very... distant, doesn't care for friends, only wants to be alone." She explained. "Her incisors came in.. They... They're odd looking.." She frowned.

"How odd?" Sana asked. Mina looked over at her daughter, seeing her smile at her.

"Extremely sharp... She cut her own lip on them the other day. So.. I stuck corks in them." Mina chuckled. "The dean explained that they have caps for sharp teeth... I ordered some but just waiting for them now." She shrugged.

"Wait.. She has extremely sharp teeth? Impossible... They should just be longer.." Sana frowned.

"I know. Yukime's are long, she lost the left one the other day, so the new one is growing in slowly." Mina explained. "But.. It's so odd.. Mine aren't sharp, they're short and dull." Mina frowned.

"I'll look into it when I get the chance... I have to go... I'll try and talk again next month." Sana whispered. "I love you so much... Kiss the kids, tell them I love them." She spoke quietly and quickly.

"I love you too." Mina heard the familiar call ended noise as soon as she said she loved her. A few tears fell as she look down at her phone. A year. A year she had been away from her mate. She hated everything about the war. She just wished it could stop now..

"Mama?" Mina looked down at Shizuha, who was now pulling on her sleeve.

"Yes?" Mina sniffed, wiping away her tears.

"When are we going home?" She frowned. "I miss momma.." She pouted.

"Soon.. And I miss momma too." She sighed.