Chapter 54: Goodbye, Old Friend

"Hello, might I help you... Oh, it's you, Master and Lady Kenobi. Come in, quickly." Threepio greets us.

"Has Anakin been here... ?" I ask Threepio.

"Yes... right after the attack on the Jedi Temple."

Padme comes down the stairs in a robe. Threepio leaves.

"Master Kenobi..." she looks at me and tears well up in her eyes, "(Y/n)."

She comes up and gives us both a hug.

"Oh, (Y/n), Obi-Wan, thank goodness... you're alive." She says.

"The Republic has fallen. Padme... The Jedi Order is no more..." I say to Padme as she lets go of me.

"I know, it's hard to believe everything to which we've dedicated our lives is gone." She says looking down.

"I believe we have been part of a plot hundreds of years in the making." Obi says to Padme.

"The Senate is still intact, there is some hope." Padme says desperately.

"No. Padme... It's over... The Sith now rule the galaxy as they did before the Republic." I say holding her.

"The Sith!?!"

"I'm here looking for Anakin... When was the last time you saw him?" Obi asks the Senator.

"Yesterday." She replies.

"And do you know where he is now?"

Padme looks down and replies, "No."

"Padme, we need your help. He's in grave danger."

"From the Sith?"

"From himself... Padme, Anakin has turned to the dark side." I say to the girl.

"You're wrong! How could you even say that?" She retorts.

"We have seen a security hologram of him killing younglings." Obi says.

"Not Anakin! He couldn't!"

"He was deceived by a lie. We all were. It appears that the Chancellor is behind everything, including the war. Palpatine is the Sith Lord we've been looking for. After the death of Count Dooku, Anakin became his new apprentice." I say to Padme, explaining everything we know.

"I don't believe you... I can't." She replies, tears staining her eyes.

"Padme, we must find him." Obi says.

"You're going to kill him, aren't you?" 

"He has become a very great threat."

Padme sits down and her pregnant belly is now showing. "I can't..."

"Anakin is the father, isn't he?"

I watch as Padme looks away from us.

"I'm so sorry."

Obi and I turn and leave. Obi and I take off in the Speeder.

A small Naboo Skiff rests on a landing platform in the vast congestion of Coruscant. Obi and I are hiding and watching Padme getting out of her Speeder, followed by Captain Typho and Threepio.

"My Lady, let me come with you." Typho says to her.

"There is no danger. The fighting is over, and... this is personal."

Typho bows. "As you wish, My Lady... but I strongly disagree."

"I'll be all right, Captain." Captain Typho goes to the speeder and gets in. "This is something I must do myself. Besides, Threepio will look after me."

"Oh, dear." Threepio sighs.

Typho takes off and Padme and Threepio board the Naboo Skiff. Obi and I quickly jump on the retracting ramp as the Skiff takes off.
Obi and I are hiding in a closet type thing. It's really tight but it will do. I look at Obi and I can tell he is upset. Everything he's taught Anakin has been washed away. As if it never happened.
I wish I could understand, but I cannot. I'm upset that Anakin has turned to this side. He's been in my life for a long time. Like Master Windu, but Anakin was like a brother to me. 

We land on Mustafar? I hear Padme get out of the ship. Obi and I get out of the closet. Obi looks at me and sighs, "Everything will be okay." 

"What will we do with Lorna?" I ask looking up at him with my tear-stained face.

"I have no idea..." 

Obi and I make our way to the entrance of the Skiff.

"Liars!" Anakin says at us, furious.

"No!" Padme shouts

"You're with him. You've betrayed me! You brought him here to kill me!" Anakin shouts at his wife.

"NO! Anakin. I swear... I..."

Anakin reaches out, and Padme grabs her throat as she starts to choke. Anakin is force choking her.

"Let her go, Anakin!" I shout at him.

"What have you and she been up to?" Anakin asks us.

"Let her go!" I shout again.

Anakin releases his grip on Padme who is now unconscious as she crumples to the ground.

"You turned her against me."

"You have done that yourself." Obi says as we walk down the ramp.

"You will not take her from me." Anakin says as he throws off his cloak.

"Your anger and your lust for power have already done that." I say as Obi and I take off our cloaks.

"You have allowed this Dark Lord to twist your mind until now... until now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy." Obi says as we start to circle each other until I am near Padme. I check if she is still breathing.

"Don't lecture me, Obi-Wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi. I do not fear the dark side as you do. I have brought peace, justice, freedom, and security to my new Empire." Anakin says.

"Your new Empire?" I question standing up.

"Don't make me kill you." Anakin threatens.

"Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic... to democracy." Obi explains.

"If you're not with me, you're my enemy." 

"Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes. I will do what I must." Obi says as he ignites his lightsaber. I ignite Justice.

"You will try." Anakin says igniting his lightsaber.

Anakin lashes out at us, and a ferocious sword fight begins.
We make our way into the control room, where the bodies of the separatist leaders are laying dead. Anakin starts to choke Obi but I go to swing at him and he drops Obi and blocks my attack.

We work their way off the landing platform and into the main entry hallway. Anakin kicks Obi and Obi drops to a lower level. 

After a ferocious fight, Obi and I jump toward the safety of the black sandy edge of the lava river. 

"It's over Anakin. I have the high ground." Obi says to the boy who has been consumed by the darkness.

"You underestimate my power." Anakin replies.

"Don't try it!" I exclaim.

Of course, Anakin follows, and Obi cuts his young apprentice at the knees, and I cut off his left arm in the blink of an eye. Anakin tumbles down the embankment and rolls to a stop near the edge of the lava.

Anakin struggles to pull himself up the embankment with his mechanical hand. His thin leather glove has been burned off. He keeps sliding down in the black sand.

"You were the Chosen One!" I exclaim to the boy, "It was said that you would, destroy the Sith, not join them."

"It was you who would bring balance to the Force, not leave it in Darkness." Obi finishes as he picks up Anakin's lightsaber.

"I hate you!" Anakin exclaims.

"You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you." Obi says as Anakin bursts into flames and starts screaming. 

I look at the boy and I feel the tears. I can't watch him suffer like this. Obi takes my hand and drags me away from the boy.