02 | idiot genius

⎯ IT'S TOO BAD AURORA'S AN IDIOT BECAUSE SHE COULD HAVE BEEN A GENIUS

⎯ IT'S TOO BAD AURORA'S AN IDIOT BECAUSE SHE COULD HAVE BEEN A GENIUS. That's what she liked to think. That she could have been some super-smart gal with a lab coat or something. But here she was, sitting on her couch in a very complex position, shoveling vanilla bean ice cream into her mouth. While watching the latest rerun of The Office on the small television that sat in her equally small New York apartment.

In this particular episode of The Office, Michael Scott dressed up as the iconic mad man, Willy Wonka and sent out five 'golden tickets'. All to the same place, "What an idiot!" Aurora shouted at the screen while talking over some ice cream. This was a normal Saturday evening for her, before brushing her teeth like a goddamn germaphobe and scurrying off to bed.

But something itching her arm stopped her, it was happening again. She lifted the sleeve of the dark mustard yellow sweater (it had been her favorite before the colors appeared, now it's her prized possession) and sure enough, on her arm words were being scrawled into the skin of her fair wrist. 'FUCK!' Aurora's head voice yelled the words due to the exclamation. How odd, this wasn't the first time it's happened but it was the shortest message she'd ever seen.

Aurora, like many characters being narrated, isn't like other girls. In fact, she's very different and unique. And that isn't because of her double-jointed right thumb or her loud tongue clicking, it's because she show signs of multiple soulmates. Or, in Aurora's own words: HELL. Like, how unlucky does a gal have to be to get more than one soulmate? 'Cause what if the soulmates aren't their soulmates and they only have Aurora each? That isn't fair to them or Aurora!

In the world that Aurora lives in, soulmates are a normal phenomenon. There have been so many articles, novels, and studies done on how to figure out you've got a soulmate that Aurora has learned about them all. Aurora's shown three signs– she thinks symptoms is a better word but her father told her to stop being a pessimist, which is funny coming from him –of having multiple soulmates.

ONE. She's never seen color until a couple of weeks again when she was rushing around the mall trying to find new clothes for a job interview. (Spoiler: she didn't get the job)

TWO. She's had pen marks and writing appear all over her body when she knows that she didn't write it. From scribbles to beautifully written poems, she's always dazzled by it.

THREE. Aurora has scars all over her body. There is a mark on her stomach looks like a gunshot wound but she doesn't wanna think about what her soulmate has been through to get such forbidding wounds.