16 | silence

⎯⎯ EVER SINCE AURORA ATE LUNCH IN THE SMALL CAFETERIA, EVERYTHING WAS SILENT BUT A SMALL RADIO SAT ON THE COUNTER PLAYING AN OLDER STATION ON A LOW VOLUME

⎯⎯ EVER SINCE AURORA ATE LUNCH IN THE SMALL CAFETERIA, EVERYTHING WAS SILENT BUT A SMALL RADIO SAT ON THE COUNTER PLAYING AN OLDER STATION ON A LOW VOLUME. The station was one of Aurora's favorites, playing only oldies from the '70s, to the '90s. The volume wasn't too low to drive her crazy which surprised her. The fridge didn't hum anymore and it made Aurora's break much more enjoyable.

"People were complaining about the noise," Aurora jumped in fright at the sound of a new voice, when she looked up from her sandwich Tony Stark leaned against the archway. She set the sandwich down and pulled her sleeves down to hide the marks that still covered her skin. "The humming was annoying?"

Aurora nodded, "Yea, thanks." Her voice was quieter than she wanted it to be, but being around her (possible) soulmate made her heart race. She gulped loudly.

"You're the one with a Princess name, right?" She nodded again, wordless. "The one who called me Tony Stank?" There it was, she'd been waiting to be fired in the past month and time has finally caught up.

"That was an accident, this old man said it and it was funny then I got distracted by writing on my palm and then–"

Tony's eyebrows were scrunched in confusion, "On your palm? As in, you didn't write it?" Shit, Aurora has really done it now. She didn't want to lie, but she definitely didn't want to tell the truth. What if he yelled at her for not saying anything? What would she say to that?

'Hey man, I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I was just scared that you'd uh... fire me or something?'

Nope, Aurora decided lying was her best bet. "No! Of course not..." She chuckled nervously, "That doesn't happen... that's... that's crazy Mr. Stark." She said his name right, I suppose third time's the charm.

"Can I see your wrists?" Aurora felt the panic rising in her chest. She hadn't been able to wash the words from her skin, they only went away when the one who wrote it finally washed them. So, in retaliation, she wrote to them. Scolding them for writing on themselves so often. She had no reason to hide her wrists if she were telling the truth. But she knew that Tony must know. He must have seen the circle in her palm.

"Wh– why?"

The surprised look on his face shows Aurora that he isn't used to being questioned. "Ms. Jameson, just show me your damn arms." Oh, fuck!