Chapter 9

A DISTINCT SOUND OF THE EVENING NEWS was coming from the television, the Puerto Rican maid gently removed an empty glass from her sleeping employer's hand — Madeline Cory had drunk herself to sleep on the couch of her luxury mansion...

This was what she did every day — watched the news, got depressed and drank herself to sleep.

On the side-table, was a family photo frame with her recent deceased husband Senator Richard Cory with his teen daughter — Samantha, who was from his first marriage. There was an open page of a scrap book with newspaper cuttings pasted, that revealed Madeline's past of being married to the playboy-politician — who had recently killed himself, after Walter Rosewood exposed his major political scandal.

'The undeserving, old bastard then won the presidential election...'

Madeline presumed that — but in reality, after her ten years of ostentatious marriage, with the years of her supporting the politics of a man, whose greatest weakness was his infidelity with younger women — that had ultimately led to his overnight career downfall.

Madeline Cory's greatest regret was not to be the First Lady in the White House like Jacqueline Kennedy — someone, whom she idolized and modeled after, since she married Richard — who was so close in winning the race — and was also the favorite to be the next president...

But, Walter Rosewood succeeded in his own fraudulent ways to end it all for him — and even her...

That was why she watched the news — got depressed and drank more.

Even her stepdaughter, Samantha had now been admitted in a drug rehabilitation program — she was dealing with her father's death in her own way.

In the parlor, the video of Dr. Boris Yankoff's confession was now televised nationally...

The old scientist exposed his veracity and clarified openly...

"What Mikhail Mlavic has done is a grave mistake by taking my genetic research, along with the recent influenza findings of some other scientists — and he has gone and built a chemical weapon of mass destruction."

"The virus strain which that rouge Mikhail Mlavic created is dubbed as — 'The Medusa Virus...'

"It will cause the genetic death of any male homo-sapient species coming in contact with this airborne virus. It will cause severe influenza, followed by encephalitis — an inflammation of the brain and in this case, that will then slowly attack victims at the cellular level, in the matter of days it will leave them all dead...

"In short, what I am saying is that, the Medusa Virus will destroy the healthy immune system of the infected male's stem cells in a rapid manner within days — with no present scientific cure to reverse it..."

Yankoff then burst into sobs of contrition, to the fateful gravamen he had caused...

"I am so sorry, I am partially to be blamed for the Russians misuse of my scientific discoveries — but rest is assured that, I am going to further find a way to delay and immobilize the contagion process...

"All I can ask, to whoever is watching me now — to pray that the virus will not spread that quickly. Please also pray hard that I will have enough time to create the right antidote in devising a vaccine, for a probable cure...

"This is the very least I can do, for my mistakes for trusting my research in the hand of that depraved Mikael Mlavic...

"May he soon rot in the depth of hell!"