Chapter 16

THE COP USED A FIREMEN AXE to hack down the fire-exit door, in the cafeteria — that had been earlier barricaded. The rest was vexed because it took them almost fifteen minutes, to bring the fire-door down by its hinges. Almost a dozen cops ran through it — Sargent Harriet hollered her orders from behind...

"Find them — and bring them back alive!"

*

The IIRC Director Tina Martin was monitoring the escape, in multiple camera shots of the CCTV, on her computer screen — she toggled back and forth — to see Joe and Reeves outrun the pursuers at the old Stuyvesant wing...

"Come on boys, go!"

She lighted a menthol, and clasped the neck of the bottle of Evan Williams — saving it as a repast celebration, once the boys had jumped the old wall.

Her main span of attention followed Reeves — who was rushing and dodging the cops in the broken down lecture room of the university wing...

*

In the coma ward in Columbus, Laura was having a nightmare, and her body went into the constriction. Her reminiscence was of the vehicles that drove in haphazard helter-skelter at the Exodus trail...

An SUV vehicle collided on the side of their old Buick that caused Herbert Jensen to lose control. Their car then crashed and drooped over the metal railing guard — it seesawed and was about to slope — to plunge down from the crag peak. Laura was then attempting, to save her mother but the car tumbled down instantly. Laura screamed — and her view of being dragged along deeper, plunging into the bowel of the rocky cliff below.

Her mother's hand came up...

The coma struck Laura's eyes then opened — and her whole body shook in violent spasm. Her right hand slammed out and clutched the barricade railing of her bed.

She reached out to grab her falling mother's hand, in her mind's eye — screaming, in-between her fight or flight state of her panicky mind.

Her tremor shuddering body leapt out over the bed railing — she plummeted on the concrete floor, her eyeballs rolled white — and her body continued to outburst in paroxysm seizure.