Chapter 9

SISTER LISA MARIE WAS ALONE that afternoon, doing some month-end bookkeeping, in Mother Superior's office — she was ardent with numbers. An Intersexual in a monk robe ran in next, without knocking the door, and he was panting...

"Sister Lisa Marie, come quick, now!"

She looked up at him, while her own fingers were still punching numbers on the calculator pad...

"Yes Pete, what is it?"

"It is that weird Doran — he is acting bat-shit crazy again..."

The affable nun smiled...

"Don't say that Doran is not weird — he is just special in his own ways."

But Peter differed...

"I don't know, he is not like anyone of us, Sister Lisa — and we think he is looney too!"

The nun now laughed at what the young boy had just said.

"Where is he now — and, what has he done this time?"

She stood up — and the boy babbled back...

"He is back in the yard, and he is scaring us all by doing weird and dangerous things with two sticks, Sister Lisa — even yesterday, he was tossing the sharp wood-chopping ax in the air, over his head — and he was then trying to catch it."

Peter made his point, the nun had heard of so many things on a frequent basis about Doran — but, it was the trust Doran had grown to give her — that made the nun from not judging him severely.

"You run along now, Peter, I will come now."

The boy-monk responded...

"Come fast, Sister Lisa!"

She laughed again while following the monk-boy...

"Peter, I am 68 years old, I can't walk that fast these days, my boy."

She saw the monk-boy running ahead, while she trailed behind gradually...

She divulged her memory by recollecting the first day, when the maltreated and undernourished boy, with facial scars, was brought by a social worker to the St. Mary's orphanage in Hammond, Ohio...

It was after some days later when he was freed from his locked cellar in his mother's basement.

Sister Lisa Marie remembered the scrawny seven-year-old, who was terrified after seeing the women wearing strange, black nun habits at the Convent. He hid behind the social worker during the meeting with the nuns, grabbing tightly to her skirt...

.

He later cried uncontrollably in deep fright when the social service woman left him behind — assuming the dark-robed females were hell-bound demons that his dead Pentecostal mother had once spoken of.

***

Thirty orphans in monk robes were standing at a distance in the yard, observing an angry Doran holding two self-made, cudgel sticks — hitting them hard on a trunk of a tree, while he made short grunting cries.

Peter ran towards a smaller coterie of monk-boys, whose leader was Michael.

They all looked at the direction of Peter pointing at Sister Lisa Marie, who was coming from behind...

The boys knew that the nun was overt in disciplining Doran — and he only obeyed her — it was why they had summoned for Sister Lisa Marie, whenever he got out of hand — with his abnormal, aggressive behaviour in the quiet abbey.