Chapter 19

THE ELITE-FORCE cop with the heat-sensor motion device scanned the cenotaph walls, while rats scuttled nearby her feet in the abbey basement. She placed the device towards the floor — and she saw lots of red-spots, heat signatures on the screen — she alerted Petersburg...

"Sir! I have got a reading now."

The Commander and the others gathered, to see into the contrivance — with a cluster of lots of moving red-spots from below them...

"How the hell the fuckers got below this basement?"

The trained corporal gave her expert opinion back to Petersburg...

"There might be an underground sewer beneath, Sir — and they are using it to get to the river."

The Elite-force Commander laughed, "I'll be damned! Real sneaky bastards! So, there must be another entrance here somewhere, right?"

Another team member suggested...

"Sir, that will take time — how about we use the C-4 and blow a hole here — and we get them out?" The Elite-force corporal with the heat-detector device contradicted, with the impetuous demolition expert...

"The floor's diameter is too thick, and your C-4 won't work."

Petersburg had a sudden ploy...

"Hmm, I got a better idea — call Radio to get someone from the nearby dam, and ask them to flood the sewers — that will flush those fuckers out, into the open like turds!"

The Commander guffawed now at her own genius strategy, and the rest of her agreeing sycophant team joined her in laughing.

*

Roberta was listless after being sidelined, with the role as the reserve unit leader. She gaited by the strong current river bank, behind the Cathedral. She had forgotten to bring along her bottle of pain-killers. The twinge was throbbing on her thigh, making her limp like the Cambodian coconut plucking monkey-boy...

She was conscious that the others would soon notice her pathetic gimp. The sergeant hated that.

But her mind was still preoccupied in Columbus; with the psychotic albino stalker who has been terrorizing her life lately. The perpetrator had accessed into her home before — and her biggest fear right now was Laura's safety — after the newspaper-clippings that were found by her bedside in the wardroom.

Even though hindered with her job assignment of today, that took her away from Columbus, Roberta needed to find out later who that albino girl was — and deal with the perpetrator personally, before she attempted her next move. Her CPD department also should not find out about the break-ins into her house — or else, it would be an embarrassment for her, as a nation's hero cop, who could not manage her own backyard.

Roberta observed that her indolent volunteer team was equally ennui at that moment, dithering in idle. It was her time to put on her leadership browbeat game-face — she stepped up from behind of two policewomen seated on a fallen tree trunk, and she insinuated...

"Hey, Beth! Diana! Look sharp — and don't fuckin' slack around!"

When Roberta walked away, the two vexed cops bad-mouthed...

"What's wrong with that bitch?" whispered Diana,

"She is an adrenaline junkie — she is pissed that she is not deep into the action over there," Beth responded softly while pointing at the Convent.

"Dick that! She has already got her screwing hero's medal from the President — what more does that cunt want?" They both broke into mocking hushed giggles, to malign their newly elected sergeant.